Chip Amp Photo Gallery

Joined 2004
Paid Member
nycavsr2000 & lanchile:

The irony is that the appeal of decent stereos is withering -- not dying, perhaps, but certainly not flourishing in a world where iPods, cell phones and other tiny "personal" devices are supplanting better-sounding music reproduction systems. And you're also right about the male dominance of this hobby. It was a lot of fun designing the Jade (Jamie And Dad Experiment) amp, and I can only hope that my music-loving daughter's experience inspires her (or another young woman) to take it a step further.

Regards,
Scott

Actually my daughter turns 14 next month. I built her a pair of 6.5 " two ways and am working on her Mauro My Ref Rev_C amp now.

A couple of years ago I bought her a docking station for her iPod and she loves it and uses it daily. I think it sounds like crap but didn't want to ruin the experience for her. Now that she has had it a while I am going to crush the rest of her life by giving her a "good sounding" system.. She will never again settle for crappy TV sound or "stereo in a box" hi-fi... I don't know if being "enlightened" to good sound is a blessing or curse.

:)

Either way the J.A.D.E looks beautiful.

another amp

just finished this, I need a top for it though.

Attachments

• gcloneone.jpg
    gcloneone.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 2,154
  • gclonetwo.jpg
    gclonetwo.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 2,067
  • gclonethree.jpg
    gclonethree.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 1,974
Last edited:
ebay Chip Amp Cards -A Positive Review

Yes as long as you build it correctly these boards sound amazing. For £17 each including shipping they are a fantastic way to get started with GC. I have just bought 2 more for some friends who have heard my amp and want to build one. Having said that I am just starting one of Peter Daniels Kits. It will be interesting to hear the difference.

I am sure the Peter Daniels one will win with a purer signal path. I am adding extra smoothing to get the best bass I can out of it.

The image is the amp using the ebay Card

2 x 68W Watt LM3886 + NE5532 Audio Amplifier Board on eBay (end time 16-Dec-09 03:00:03 GMT)

dh

Attachments

• 1 St Amp-4.JPG
    1 St Amp-4.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 1,858
I don't know about "win", those NE5532s are pretty sweet! Here is the transformer I used: Parts-Express.com: Avel Y236750 330VA 25V+25V Toroidal Transformer | TRS transformers transformer toroidal transformer toroidal toroid mounting kits kit gauge copper avel

You can see my build at Post # 1250 back a couple of pages.

I use my laptop as the source and use the EQ built into my soundcard along with the EQ in Winamp.

I built these speakers to go with it: Vifa 2-Way Loudspeaker System
(use the modified L-pad values)

This setup is highly recommended for a compact system and the dynamic range produced is just pure magic.

Yes as long as you build it correctly these boards sound amazing. For £17 each including shipping they are a fantastic way to get started with GC. I have just bought 2 more for some friends who have heard my amp and want to build one. Having said that I am just starting one of Peter Daniels Kits. It will be interesting to hear the difference.

I am sure the Peter Daniels one will win with a purer signal path. I am adding extra smoothing to get the best bass I can out of it.

The image is the amp using the ebay Card

2 x 68W Watt LM3886 + NE5532 Audio Amplifier Board on eBay (end time 16-Dec-09 03:00:03 GMT)

dh

I for one don't hate you for saying that. It all seems to be about the bells and whistles, ie. preamp inputs, lights, aesthetics, etc.

For me, I ripped all my CDs to 320kbps mp3, and sold the CDs. I'll admit I kept some as FLAC, Dark Side of the Moon for example. I'm not really into 5.1, 7.1 surround anymore, been there, done that. I use my PC as the source (Winamp) and I could not be happier with the sound, although when I finish my 5 watt/channel SE tube amp & 99dB speakers I may be even happier ;-).

If one were to build one of the LM3886 amps and use it with a decent set of speakers, with a good low end, you will not be disappointed.

Don't hate me for saying this, I couldn't tell the difference between it and my NAD C340 or Rega Brio. They all sound great to me. I think it would be an ideal amp for multichannel, so small.

I for one don't hate you for saying that. It all seems to be about the bells and whistles, ie. preamp inputs, lights, aesthetics, etc.

For me, I ripped all my CDs to 320kbps mp3, and sold the CDs. I'll admit I kept some as FLAC, Dark Side of the Moon for example. I'm not really into 5.1, 7.1 surround anymore, been there, done that. I use my PC as the source (Winamp) and I could not be happier with the sound, although when I finish my 5 watt/channel SE tube amp & 99dB speakers I may be even happier ;-).

If one were to build one of the LM3886 amps and use it with a decent set of speakers, with a good low end, you will not be disappointed.
Admitting to stealing on an open forum is a good idea how?

Redshift DC servo

Hi!
Here is my implementation of LM3886. You are wondering why cooler is on the bottom side, well the amp will be runnig on +-24V so it will be barely warm.

Regards Aleš

Attachments

• P1000396.JPG
    P1000396.JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 2,030
  • P1000397.JPG
    P1000397.JPG
    403.5 KB · Views: 1,845
  • P1000388.JPG
    P1000388.JPG
    493.4 KB · Views: 1,841