Chip Amp Photo Gallery

h@kan: " ... I think you should define it as a buffer since it's unity gain but i'm not sure about the definitions. ..."

Yes! Unity gain tube pre-amp ahead of solid state amp ... :cool:

That's what I do @ home: universal DVD player >>> BottleHead Tube Pre-amp >>> healthy MOSFET amp >>> speakers ...

IMOP, The Tubes make it work right = better clipping curves, better sound, takes that mean digital guitar sting outta the noise loop ... :D

my last chipa mp

Guess this is my last opa541 chip amp

IM000237-1.jpg

IM000238-1.jpg

IM000240.jpg

thank you guys,

the silvery belt is aluminum, hand-hairlined, the wood is local mahogany, old stock and very dry. I did some research on this thread and picked up many ideas..so..thanks again

TPS

ps. during recent blind test, the amp is dubbed as Aigner, it fits into one I guess, but the PSU is quite heavy. Merry Xmas for you all

Finished first amp project

This is my very first diy hifi - Peter Daniel LM3875 dual mono kit with Nuvotem trannies. Sound fantastic with my (unfinished) FE207e MLTLs. Source is a squeezebox duet into Cambridge Dacmagic.

Case work was a bit of make it up as you go along. Heatsinks taken from two old PC cpus and alu plate bought from local locksmiths. Cardas posts were a little indulgent, but everything else cost peanuts.

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

Cheers

Re: Finished first amp project

afunkymonk said:
This is my very first diy hifi - Peter Daniel LM3875 dual mono kit with Nuvotem trannies. Sound fantastic with my (unfinished) FE207e MLTLs. Source is a squeezebox duet into Cambridge Dacmagic.

Case work was a bit of make it up as you go along. Heatsinks taken from two old PC cpus and alu plate bought from local locksmiths. Cardas posts were a little indulgent, but everything else cost peanuts.

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

Cheers

hmm..always liked Peter D design..also loves your 'white ' speaker driver..congrats

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's my first ever chip amp using the PCBs from BrianGT (chipamp.com). I finished both monoblocks yesterday. They sound great, a wide and detailed soundstage. Much to the dismay of my wife I can hear the difference to my Cambridge Audio 540A amp...

The design is far from original, I've seen more people use these aluminium enclosures, but I really like their look.

Specs:

- 2x Amplimo toroids 2x22V 80VA
- all 0.1 uF caps Vishay-Roederstein MKP1837
- all electrolytics from Panasonic (FC and TS)
- MUR820 rectifier diodes (couldn't find 860's locally)
- all resistors are metal film types

I hooked up the PSU and amp boards using 0.6mm (approx. AWG 23) solid core wire. For the signal output I used 1.4mm (approx. AWG 15) solid core wire.

Measurements taken after completion:
- DC rail voltages left & right channel: 30.3V & 30.8V
- DC offset left & right channel: 1mV & 0.4mV (may not be very accurate, measured with a dirt cheap DMM)

I may improve the aesthetics by replacing the front plate with a piece of wood (oil finished oak from a leftover piece of floorboard). To improve the WAF there's not gonna be a power LED. :mad:

WRT the rail voltages, do I need to worry about the little difference? DC offsets appears to be very low, I might check DC offsets again with a real DMM.

Next project will be a matching passive preamp/source selector. At the moment I use the preamp out of the 540A amp.