Chip Amp Photo Gallery

one more.

Attachments

• picture 057.jpg
    picture 057.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 4,250
thanks justblair! yes it is a hefty amp it is around 26lbs. The heat sinks are huge and heavy it is a tank lol. I can easily put 6 LM3875 per heat sink, but I am using two on one heat sink (stereo).
I did not want to use the other heat sink because one is more than enough. it never gets hot...if I push the amp to the limit the heat sink gets just warm.I have had many amps like: Marantz,Adcom,Bryston,Arcam,Luxman just to name some, but I have never seen or felt an amp that runs so cool as this one.I am very happy with this fella.:smash:

seventynine said:
thanks guy, theres some chrome tubing (i found it knocking around, think it was a table leg or something :D, its not quite finished as the base is not connected to the bottom, but i'll make sure i get some pics when it is done.

bego2 said:
good job seventynine i realy like the boxes...whats inside? :D

finally got around to finishing it, because i've recased it the boards have managed to get quite beat up, and the build quality isn't amazing, but it sounds much better using the single core copper wire instead of using the cable that i used previous. its a lot more fuller

GainclownF2004.jpg

GainclownF2003.jpg

seventynine said:
but it sounds much better using the single core copper wire instead of using the cable that i used previous. its a lot more fuller

If you are convinced of this, then I am pleased for you.
However, it you expect me to believe that after all the wiring in the recording studio + your existing interconnects + your loudspeaker cables, that two inches of wire makes a difference you can hear, I will give up after over 30 years in this industry and become a plumber :)

Frank

frank1 said:

If you are convinced of this, then I am pleased for you.
However, it you expect me to believe that after all the wiring in the recording studio + your existing interconnects + your loudspeaker cables, that two inches of wire makes a difference you can hear, I will give up after over 30 years in this industry and become a plumber :)

Frank

if the cable previously was too small of diameter and had some inherent resistance, then perhaps it is true. Sometimes when people say they hear a difference, they really do.

I'm needing my radiaters rehung and my toilet cistern is not filling up fast enough if you do decide on the plumber option Frank. :)

In all seriousnes, I can hear differences between single strand and multi strand cables in some cases. I wont write it off, I dont spend lots of money on cable, but I do have some favoured choices.

I notice the single wire cable in question is magnet wire, its dialetric is differenent as well. But there is a thread round here somewhere on cable choices... Perhaps best not to have this discussion here!

Thanks lgreen

The square box is holding the fuse.There is also a capacitor between "live and neutral"(100nf x2 rated).

Yep,the other box is holding the PSU,bridge rectifiers etc.The amp and regulators are all point to point.
Amp chips are close to the speaker terminals.Grounded aluminium bar separates the amp from the psu.