Chip Amp Photo Gallery

The case was a present from a friend. He imported it from HK for me.

Regarding the power supply, I went a little overboard and went for 2 x 2x 25V 300VA for full dual mono approach and because at the time I wanted to leave certain options open to me like biamping or bridging etc., by adding additional amps. I have plenty of room in the case if I get the itch.

Re: integrated gainclone and Digital receiver

neil_kaye said:
This was my first gainclone... a single integrated component. The chassis houses LM3875 bpards (Audio Sector), a NOS DAC (also audio sector) and a digital audio receiver by squeezebox.
The amp uses two PLitron toroids (120 V 22VAC). The case was manufactured by
Hexateq AV and i applie the custom black anodize finish on this end.The sound is clean and fast. I am a little dissapointed in the gain so i may investigate a buffer section.
It is still burning so i wwill wait before i pass judgement, but so far i like what i hear.
Thanks to everyone who lent there hand, Peter Daniels, Richard Krolla and the community at DIY audio.
Cheers

Great looking Gainclone!!

Where did you find the VU meters? I've been looking for a few pair for some time now, but most are $$BIG$$.

Tall Shadow

Tall shadow.
The "vu meter" is actually a LCD screen and processor, prgrammed to "display" a vu meter. It also gives song data inforamation once a minute as a small line feed. The display can also be configured as a spectrum analizyer which is how i have it set up now. i was becoming bran dead from watching two bouncing needles.
There is an entire forum dedicted to this display nut over on the squeezebox website.

woah major miss understanding.
TWhat you are calling the "vu" meter and it can amongst otehr things show the same data as an analog VU meter is actually a wireless digital reciever. It is an electronic apliance that spools digital files from my computer and feeds them to a DAC. The screen of the appliance can be configured to show different information. The way i have set mine up is as follows:
1. Whena new song startsit dispalys, title, artista and album data for about 10 seconds. It then swithces to either a spectrum analysier or a VU meter display.
The DAR works just like transport with out the media

" ... What you are calling the "vu" meter and it can amongst otehr things show the same data as an analog VU meter is actually a wireless digital reciever. ..."

Is this another of your projects? Sourced from prototype shop? ... Is this commercially available? As a stand alone package or as a subassembly "for the rest of us" DIYers?

:smash:

The DAR is a commercially available device. It can be bought from squeezebox at:
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html

I simply added a better power supply (elpac) and placed it in the case with the NOSDAC and gainclone boards.
The sound qulaity when mated with a good DAC is outstanding, many feel comparable to top of the line red book CD players without the hassle of discs.

" ... I simply added a better power supply (elpac) and placed it in the case with the NOSDAC and gainclone boards. ..."

"Simply" ? ... (I'm a dealer for the Squeeze Box and I've taken a look inside. :bigeyes: )

Good show ... how extensively did you do this mod? ... what did you do to / with the power supply? (Internally powered by your GainClone supply?)

this isnt anything to get excited about, just for fun!

figured id show a amp im working on as a Xmas gift. this is for my sister, who is a artist, and i want this to be very "organic" amp. the blocks of aluminum i found in a dump. i will p2p the whole amp. it will be mostly for style. i plan to cram a opa2134 buffer with its own reg supply, and 2xopa549 into this. it was alot of work getting the blocks into usable shape.

Attachments

• block0.jpg
    block0.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 8,543
This has been playing in my home for 2 months now.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2 X homemade LM3875-boards

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

togheter with a homemade preamp, currently using a OPA2277

sound is good, but im thinking about making a case for it :D