Chip Amp Photo Gallery

portreathbeach got it right with the first set. The wood used in these is oak, very hard, easily threaded...Second amp has an alu frame made of different alu-profiles, like L,I,C, and even O!The heatsinks are first attached to similar length L-profiles. L-profiles also on the front and back... To these are attached the front and back plates 60mm wide 4mm thick alu... and the wooden sides.Bottom plate is 1mm alu sheet, and fastened with small L-profiles again to the 'main frame'...Back plate stays on with the binding posts and what ever connectors, front plate with the potentiometer and the toggle switch.Size is: W20cm(8"), H6cm(2.4"), D25cm(10")...No shots inside unfortunately...

My recently finished tube buffered gainclone

Attachments

• SDC11165.jpg
    SDC11165.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 2,105
  • SDC11169.jpg
    SDC11169.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 1,996
  • SDC11138.jpg
    SDC11138.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 1,865
  • SDC11159.jpg
    SDC11159.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 1,741
  • SDC11161.jpg
    SDC11161.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 1,628
  • SDC11144.jpg
    SDC11144.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 829
  • SDC11153.jpg
    SDC11153.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 1,017
  • SDC11151.jpg
    SDC11151.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 876
  • SDC11142.jpg
    SDC11142.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 710
Professor,

Very, very nice construction. I was attracted to your use of one transformer for multiple voltages. I am working on a build that requires four -Amp x 2, DAC, Pre and Lighter Note. I may use discrete transformers for the amps but would still like to combine the rest on one toroid if possible.

Can you point me to a source where I can get the information I need? I'm assuming you did a DIY board of some type.

Also, what's the flavor of the white wire?

Thanks

Last edited:
Professor,

Very, very nice construction. I was attracted to your use of one transformer for multiple voltages. I am working on a build that requires four -Amp x 2, DAC, Pre and Lighter Note. I may use discrete transformers for the amps but would still like to combine the rest on one toroid if possible.

Can you point me to a source where I can get the information I need? I'm assuming you did a DIY board of some type.

Also, what's the flavor of the white wire?

Thanks
I buy 2x25V toroid and wind missing windings myself. Originally I reel up some turns and I define how many it is necessary turns on one volt. Further I multiply the received number of turns on necessary voltage. For examlpe, you have received 5 turns on 1 volt, you need 25 volts, then you need 5*25=125 turns.
White wire is copper covered with silver in teflon.

Chipamp just lift off from the kitchen table:

DSC08846.jpg

DSC08849.jpg

DSC08850.jpg

DSC08838.jpg

OPA 549, 2x 100VA trafo ; +-25V DC; 22 000uf per rail. Non Inverting config, thanks forum member Alcaid for PCB layout.

Enclosure aluminium top cover still need polishing and M6 100mm screws (ordered).
In addition to the wooden enclosure came eight meat boards :D

Sounds nice, no hum - i will compare it with my LM3875 NI and take some measurements with scope and sound-card tomorrow.

Work-in-progress on the first of my two LM3886 monoblocks. I thought I'd need a drill-press/pillar-drill for the aluminium but discovered it was actually easy enough to do by hand with my old power dill. Just waiting for some adhesive pads to arrive in the post so I can mount the tank caps. I think I wired up the MUR860's right, but I'm going to check before I go any further.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Before anybody pulls me up on it, yes I know the dangers of 240VAC, I'm probably going to add a mesh lid/sides once I've got them both working. I'm completing this one & seeing how well it works before I start on the second.