Chip Amp Photo Gallery

My now ~8yr old 6 channel DAC + bridged gainclone amp...
Still works perfectly :D

My design & home made double sided PCBs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My new transconductance chipamp

My CCS singled-ended class A MOSFET amp got me searching for an alternative that was equally simple but a little cheaper to build. The cost of large transformers, big caps, and huge heatsinks seems to add up pretty quick. My search led me to current-drive.info where a very simple current feedback method is described. The vetting of Esa's book can be found here. (I bought a copy.)

Rod Elliot describes essentially the same thing in Project 56 but actually explicitly states that the current drive system I'm using "should never be used in practice" for stability and interference concerns. :D From Esa's accounting and my prototyping experience I can say that the zobel on the output is mandatory. Without it I had some low frequency instability. The flyback diodes on the output protect the driver when the amp is powered on. As far as interference is concerned, from my experience it is much less susceptible to noise compared to my voltage-driven chipamps.

I used LM675T power opamps. The power caps are 8200uF Pany TS bypassed with 100nF MKPs. In the amplifier section I have 35v 150uf Pany FMs, 10uF tantalums, and 100pF NG0 ceramics. I made a "good faith" attempt at modelling the power supply impedance using the method described by Thorsten here. Whether the modeling and subsequent lower supply impedance at high frequencies results in improved sound quality is an open question, but I figure it is better than shooting in the dark. If the power supply and the amp sections were separated RC snubbers (.5R-1R, 330nF) after the power caps would improve performance but with them so close together I opted not to snubberize.

Layout was done in Eagle and I made the PCBs.
Roger

Attachments

• IMG_0620 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0620 (Custom).JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_0624 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0624 (Custom).JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_0628 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0628 (Custom).JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_0630 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0630 (Custom).JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 783
  • IMG_0632 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0632 (Custom).JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 579
  • layout.png
    layout.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 554
  • schematic.png
    schematic.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 442
  • ps_impedance.png
    ps_impedance.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
This my 8 channel Gainclone with LM3886 that i' ve use for almost two years now, and i must say i am very happy with the sound.

Power supply uses a transformer 800VA 26+26 V and 94.000μF.

The amp drives drive my 3 way open baffle speakers using active xovers, so only 6 channels are used for the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 516
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 893
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 874
Retro look Gainclone

Some more pix... Just brief Description, This is a regulated version gainclone with a supply of around +-28v, I used Peter Daniel's pcb's, with the Zobel network connected and ci used. Its connected to a DIY speaker as well, a backloaded horn using Fostex FE126en. This is my first DIY projects and I'm loving it...The sound? well.. its fantastic!!

Attachments

• DSCN0288.JPG
    DSCN0288.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,062
  • DSCN0240.JPG
    DSCN0240.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 920
  • DSCN0265.JPG
    DSCN0265.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 807
My now ~8yr old 6 channel DAC + bridged gainclone amp...
Still works perfectly :D

My design & home made double sided PCBs.

Wow! mind to share some more? Do you use one ground plane for the whole system? Grounding such a multichannel PCB can be a challenge and we can all learn from your information, so please share.. :D

With kind regards,
Bas