Chip Amp Photo Gallery

drives a pair of these mordaunt short ms908 babies

Attachments

• dsc06889.jpg
    dsc06889.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,565
a review.

im comparing it to a peter daniel lm4780 premium kit which is probably the best amp ive listened to so far for the price and ive had a lot of them

the midrange of the lm3886 (bought for £30 on ebay vs £60 for lm4780 kit) amp is superb and i can't fault it.

the lows are ok but the bass notes are not as tonal compared to lm4780 i built before it or a cambridge audio p500 i had before that.

the highs sound hissy/dirty and this could be because of the wiring, grounding of even the quality of the components especially the caps.

overall, not as toe-tapping as the peter daniel lm4780 kit (higher quality components, they do make a difference), but the sound is close.

sources (used on all my amps):

preouts of a yamaha dspax761 which in turn is fed from an amd 780g chipset equipped windows 7 media center pc via lpcm/pcm/spdif over hdmi.

an iphone 3g.

a sony psp

still a very good amp though

hoping to assemble a dac bought from ebay soon

Hi,

Like every other newbie I am pleased as punch with my little creation. It’s a copy of the Peter Daniel’s integrated amp design using his basic LM3875 kit.

The PCB assembly took a couple of hours, at most. The hardware seemed to take considerably longer!

One shiny brick sitting on top of its predecessor.

How does it sound? I’ve tried it with vinyl and CD’s through some KEF Q3’s and it sounds open, bouncy and packs a punch. Bit of a cliché but when I switched back to the NAD amp for a back to back test I broke out in a cold sweat because I thought I had b******d the speakers. It sounded like there were wooly socks over them!

I need to work out a neat way of putting some graphics on the front and then it’s done. I think is important to stop building for a while and spend time listening.

Re: Re: Re: my shiny brick

mrsbadcrumble said:

Yes please.

A degree in Engineering, 20 years experience in industry and I need help getting a picture to attach to a post on a forum. :bawling:

I seem to manage with the Vinyl Egine forum!:whazzat:

Okay; I've got a nice glass of red wine, I am chilled and I am ready to learn.

regards

Jeff

May be a bit latter as we have guests. Are your files too large?

If so send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you an app to resize them

Richard

Re: Re: Re: Re: my shiny brick

Tripmaster said:

May be a bit latter as we have guests. Are your files too large?

If so send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you an app to resize them

Richard

Hi Richard,

My glass of wine is too large, but the image I was attempting to attach is only 82Kb...

I had assumed I could simply pick the relative image file through the browse button at the bottom of the post reply page.

It would appear your email is turned off. Maybe you could email me ;)

regards

Jeff

Tripmaster said:

or you could use http://photobucket.com/

both are free to use but I find photobucket a bit faster to display the images if you decide to post a link to a photo.

Do you receive an error message when trying to post your picture?

Richard

If you use Microsoft XP OS on your PC there is a free group of add ons called "power toys" that do various things. One is "Image resizer". Right click the picture and resize. That simple.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

I loaded Vista, went back to XP. I loaded Microsoft 7 beta, went back to XP... I know, I know, "it's Linux time" <wonder if MC Hammer is going to patent that one>.. :D

You're the real deal!

Hi Guys,

While I'm not into chip-amps (yet, but you never know down the road), this is an outstanding thread with some beautiful, well executed projects.

I have the utmost respect for you guys and your projects. You are the real DIY'ers who actually build and apply real-world technology and put your money where your mouth is. This site has a lot of people who are nothing but hot air, theories, and opinions, yet never build anything. Not you guys.

Again, excellent thread!
Paul