Chip Amp Photo Gallery - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2007, 01:51 AM   #531
okapi is offline okapi  United States
diyAudio Member

tangmonster,

thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you like my design.

i finally got around to making cases for mine. i will post pics soon along with a couple of other chip amps i've been working on.

i also have a zen v9 in the works but completion won't be for a while.

how did you make those nice clean bends in the metal that forms your case?

also, where did you get your heatsinks?

Tim
Old 2nd December 2007, 04:15 PM   #532
diyAudio Member

I had a big heatsink (300 x 150 mm) my whole design was based on it's size. I count the fins and got it cut down in 5 pieces. (losing about 3 fins)

Then i played with autocad ( my firt try) and designed cases around the size of each heatsink.

At the company i work i do a lot of orders for all our production (pc boards / enclosures / electronic parts etc. ) So i had all the contacts to source me with parts.

basically i drew up the enclosures and emailed it to the guy i use to make our enclosers and mounting plates for our other products and he did it ,also the natural anodizing.

He also did all the hole punching and bends.

i made a 8 ohm resistor out of some big 50W resistors and put an 1khz sinewave in , and turned up the input until my output was about 28V peak , those heatsinks got hot but not too hot.

So i was happy they are big enough ,they don't even get close to that hot under normal loud listening.

i have to say they are more than loud enough for my needs. It is just so cool too be able to turn things up to just about too loud and still no distortion

I was slightly dissapointed in the beginning about the lower frequencies not being enough , but it just because i got too used to the pioneer tone controlls being set on full treble and it's bass on 3/4's

on this amp i have no tone controls but mid's and highs are better and i was complaining over nothing with the low frequencies , i don't know if the amps sound changed slightly with time or if it's my ears but currently they sound great , i was planning on building a tone control but it's not even neccesary.

Can't wait for your updated pictures Tim.
Old 8th December 2007, 07:01 AM   #533
diyAudio Member

Default LM3875

The unit is an old Yamaha CD Player.
Trans = 300VA 25/25
Two 400v 30amp Rectifiers
Caps are 1000uf x 10/per rail
Snubber caps 1000Vdc 22nf

I think I posted a pic of this before, but I had to pull this apart to do a quick repair on the led board so I took some of the inside.

I built this about a year ago and it's been running fine.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r0011962.jpg (77.0 KB, 4528 views)
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 8th December 2007, 07:05 AM   #534
diyAudio Member

Default Front

I replaced the volume knob with this one, which I'm trialing for my next amp. I got this from an exellent site called, thlaudio.com

They are in Taiwan, and are very good, well packaged.

I went for the big yellow led instead of the blue, bit tired of those...........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r0011969.jpg (80.8 KB, 4231 views)
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 8th December 2007, 07:10 AM   #535
diyAudio Member

Default cable

I braided the cable and threaded it through some thick 10mm plastic tubing and attactched it to a clear plug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r0011967.jpg (82.3 KB, 4021 views)
Old 8th December 2007, 07:12 AM   #536
diyAudio Member

Default Boards

These are P.D's

I think the heat sink should be o.k.

I bought 3 metres of the stuff, god knows what I'm going to do with it all.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r0011966.jpg (77.3 KB, 4099 views)
Old 8th December 2007, 07:15 AM   #537
diyAudio Member

Default Finished

This is it sitting in my room, on my new shelf I finally got around to buying, which has made the wife extremely happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r0011973.jpg (84.9 KB, 4253 views)
Old 8th December 2007, 07:20 AM   #538
diyAudio Member

Default WAF & SAF

Both the wife and son seem to think it's o.k. I run my Imac through it, as it's a better sound than my old Yamaha CD player. And keeps everything nice and tidy.
The speakers are Image Loudspeakers from a New Zealand company. They are rated at 180watts which is a total over kill. And they are not that sensitive..............
One of my next projects is to build a nice pair of OB's I think.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r0011975.jpg (87.8 KB, 3305 views)
Old 8th December 2007, 02:40 PM   #539
diyAudio Member

enzedone: Re: iMac. I just got one too and plan on adding an EchoDigital AudioFire2 as 24bit DAC I/O through a tube pre-amp ... what did you do?
Old 8th December 2007, 08:22 PM   #540
diyAudio Member

Actually, not a lot. I just downlaoded some CD's to the hard drive. I couldn't be bothered with storing CD's in the bedroom, not enough room for that. And it's just about listening to some music. Which is really good quality from this Pioneer DVD/CD drive. I'm not really going to analyse the sound. It is also good as we can throw on a music dvd and watch a concert, or even a movie. Like today when it's wet, I can just throw on a music DVD and jump on the net.
I want to build a better system for the lounge which will have my TT and some nice speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!