Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2007, 12:08 AM   #471
diyAudio Member

markiemrboo, how much power does that amp put out?
Old 3rd September 2007, 09:17 AM   #472
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis5587
markiemrboo, how much power does that amp put out?
I don't have the means to actually test it, but I think (probably quite wrong?) given an adequate heatsink and power supply... it's capable of something like, per channel:

8 ohms - 50W RMS continuous average, 100W peak
4 ohms - 100W RMS continuous average, 200W peak

I'm not sure about 2 ohms. If it was a 2 ohm resistive load then could it manage something like 28Vpk = 14Apk? 14A / 3 (chips) = 4.6A per chip, which is well below the 7-11A limit of the LM3886. That equates to 400W peak / 200W "RMS" in to 2 ohms though, which just seems a bit unrealistic I can't help but feel that I am missing something with power ratings as large as that from a chip amp....

Power ratings still do confuse me a bit I'm fairly sure the first two (8/4R) are realistic though. AndrewT did some calculations for me a while back and concluded that it should be able to cope with the most evil of 4 ohm speakers, but wouldn't recommend trying a 2 ohm speaker.
Old 3rd September 2007, 09:30 AM   #473
diyAudio Member

my amp (2xLM4780TA for one chanell) puts 125W RMS on 8ohms (tested) i think it's enough for me
4ohms not tested yet...but i think it's about 230-250W rms..
Old 3rd September 2007, 11:43 AM   #474
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dielkius
my amp (2xLM4780TA for one chanell) puts 125W RMS on 8ohms (tested) i think it's enough for me
4ohms not tested yet...but i think it's about 230-250W rms..
Is that a bridged configuration? Sounds good. I think I might also give that a go when I get this amp a case and redo my preamp.
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:05 PM   #475
diyAudio Member

With regards to how mine sounds....

Today I have ripped my old amp, LM338 / snubbered / single LM3886 per channel, out of it's case and placed the new one in to test with my usual speakers, a pair of lowly Celestion 7's.

I shall start by saying that I am not a big believer in amplifiers and such making differences to the sound, so this is purely subjective and may well just be because I am happy it works etc etc etc.

Initial impressions are that bass lines seem very easy to follow, possibly what some might refer to as tight and well controlled. Midrange and treble seem to be sounding really quite lovely. There does seem to be detail that I haven't heard before. Airy echoes and midrange stuff. There is a certain delicateness about it that is just magic. I haven't noticed much of a change in imaging / sound stage etc.

I've just got the house free to myself for a bit and have had a chance to test briefly (I do like my hearing, so I dont tend to listen loud for long) how well it copes "under load". It is also an improvement, much to my surprise! I can turn the volume all the way and it still sounds very clean! The bass seems to have way, way more punch to it, very noticeable. I can actually feel it now...

Very cool! I know it's not much to go on, but subjectively I have to say it does sound nice. Hope that satisfies some curiosity for now
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:42 PM   #476
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markiemrboo

Is that a bridged configuration? Sounds good. I think I might also give that a go when I get this amp a case and redo my preamp.

its BPA..
Old 21st September 2007, 01:59 AM   #477
diyAudio Member

Hello

My Gainclone, based on Chipamp.com LM3886 kit. Build as a simple power stage and connected to a lovely Nakamichi 410 vintage preamp.
Trafo is AnTek AN-2225 (200VA, 25+25V) primary was series wired for chilean 220V mains.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 28th September 2007, 04:15 AM   #478
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flamberge
Hello

My Gainclone, based on Chipamp.com LM3886 kit. Build as a simple power stage and connected to a lovely Nakamichi 410 vintage preamp.
Trafo is AnTek AN-2225 (200VA, 25+25V) primary was series wired for chilean 220V mains.
Nice work. I like the DIY enclosure.
Old 30th September 2007, 08:15 AM   #479
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DJ Exprice Send a message via MSN to DJ Exprice
Quote:
Originally posted by flamberge
Hello

Nice work!
Old 1st October 2007, 11:42 AM   #480
frank1 is offline frank1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Nice but?

Another nice job but with the heatsinks inside the box!
Where is the heat going to go?

Frank

Hide this!Advertise here!