Chip Amp Photo Gallery

Here are the boards (from Olimex, and I know the decoupling caps are a little funny!) Power is coming to the underside of the boards. Signal wires are indeed unshielded, but I haven't had any noticable problems with this yet since this is intended as a mid-fi office amp.

Also, the heat sink is a modified old SlotA computer heat sink. It stays warm, but definitely not hot when cranked up, so I am pretty sure it will be long term stable. I have taped a thermocouple to the heatsink for the time being to make sure that there isn't an issue, but so far so good!!

Attachments

• 05-17-06_2351.jpg
    05-17-06_2351.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 29,477
Finally, the rear connection pannel is aluminum plate in place of the SCSI connector plate. The fan is not presently connected, but I figured it was easier to leave it in than modify the back of the case. Besides, if I ever need ventilation, I can always hook it up. Jacks are generic from ApexJr again, but are cheap and work great so far!!

Hope you enjoy!
David

Attachments

• 05-17-06_2352.jpg
    05-17-06_2352.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 28,270
The parts for this amp have been sitting on the shelf for over a year, so I decided to start putting it together. It's all built, just need to wire it now. The pcb's are from BrianGT. The tranformer from Parts Express, The LM3875TF chips sampled from National Semiconductor, 6061 billet plate purchased locally, 1" plexiglass & RCA inputs from Ebay, the rest I had laying around.

Attachments

• gcfrontopen.jpg
    gcfrontopen.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 19,178
just hacked this one together. Enclosures are manufactured by Hammond (g-something, 14 ?)

I had 4 gc channels lying around and my gf needs a new amp. Standard stuff with black gate 1000uF, BG-N 4,7uF input, welwyn rc5 & caddock resistors. mur860 bridges and wima small bypass caps pn the ps board.

Attachments

• img_0003.jpg
    img_0003.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 20,173
karma: no they don't get hot at all. I'm running on a pretty low voltage though. These cases are pretty thin, ~2mm. I think.

I compared them with a gaincard and well, the gaincard is way better. Mostly soundstage related. I just included a zobel, some small psu decoupling and i put a small film cap across the inputs to prevent rf making it into the amp.

Have to do the test again!