Chip Amp Photo Gallery - Page 188 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2011, 03:48 AM   #1871
Pato666 is offline Pato666  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Pato666
Quote:
Originally Posted by discrete View Post
A PC heat sink without a fan is less efficient than just a 8"x4" square of heavy gauge aluminum plate.
The fins are too dense to allow for efficient convection.
The sink should also be turned 90 degrees so that the fins are vertical to have any hope of convection...
I didn't know that.. thanks!
Old 11th August 2011, 11:32 AM   #1872
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kuldeepsingh
Quote:
Originally Posted by discrete View Post
A PC heat sink without a fan is less efficient than just a 8"x4" square of heavy gauge aluminum plate.
The fins are too dense to allow for efficient convection.
The sink should also be turned 90 degrees so that the fins are vertical to have any hope of convection...
Ya definatly, i'll be used cooling fan also once installed in PC cabinet
The heatsink is meant for force cooling.
Old 20th August 2011, 07:18 PM   #1873
diyAudio Member

(I don't want to hijack the picture thread, but my question is hardly worth starting a new thread for.)

How much heatsinking does LM3886 actually need? I've just received a pair of LM3886 kits from Analog Metric Limited - DIY Audio Kit & am thinking about enclosures for them. Do they actually need heatsinks, or can I just bolt them to a suitably thick metal enclosure? The amp in this auction simply bolts them to a (thin) steel enclosure ;

NE5532 + LM3886 Audio Amplifier Home Audio AMP 68W+68W | eBay
Old 20th August 2011, 07:30 PM   #1874
diyAudio Member

1C/W or less
Old 20th August 2011, 07:36 PM   #1875
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost eden View Post
(I don't want to hijack the picture thread, but my question is hardly worth starting a new thread for.)

How much heatsinking does LM3886 actually need? I've just received a pair of LM3886 kits from Analog Metric Limited - DIY Audio Kit & am thinking about enclosures for them. Do they actually need heatsinks, or can I just bolt them to a suitably thick metal enclosure? The amp in this auction simply bolts them to a (thin) steel enclosure ;

Do a little searching and you will be rewarded.
Old 21st August 2011, 09:24 AM   #1876
frank1 is offline frank1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The amp in this auction simply bolts them to a (thin) steel enclosure ;
Steel is an extremely poor conductor of heat so the poor chips would have virtually no heat-sink at all!

Frank
Old 21st August 2011, 09:27 AM   #1877
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Scrap yards are a good source of heatsinks and enclosures, take a pic of one with you. They'll sell them to you at weight value, they might add a bit though :-)
Old 21st August 2011, 12:15 PM   #1878
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemraid View Post
Scrap yards are a good source of heatsinks and enclosures, take a pic of one with you. They'll sell them to you at weight value, they might add a bit though :-)
I've got no problems with sourcing heatsinks, I'm just trying to ascertain how much heatsinking is actually required & how much I see in many of the builds is more just for show. I'm trying to keep my builds as simple as possible, so if I can get away with bolting the chips to a thicker enclosure rather than working heatsinks into the design, all the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1
Steel is an extremely poor conductor of heat so the poor chips would have virtually no heat-sink at all!
How about a fairly thick aluminium enclosure? Something like Hammond's 1550Z Series? Hammond Mfg. - Watertight - Thick Wall - Diecast Aluminum (1550Z Series)
Old 21st August 2011, 01:24 PM   #1879
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

lost eden -

I have no idea of your technical resources, but if you download the spec PDF (Data Sheet) of something like the LM3886 there are exact formulas and clear descriptions of heat sink requirements.
Old 22nd August 2011, 03:08 PM   #1880
troystg is online now troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Hardware stores usually have aluminum bars for sale. If you get a piece taller that the LM3886 chip and 4 times as wide, mount it inbetween the chip and the chassis, it will act as a heat "spreader" and move more heat to a wider area of a metal enclosure.

Hide this!Advertise here!