Chip Amp Photo Gallery - Page 147 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2010, 05:00 PM   #1461
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi Bas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiaan View Post
You can get almost any circuit stable with gains below 10, if you know where and how to compensate. Doesn't say that it does sound better/good
Sure. When I started on this "Low gain LM38XX Chipamp" thing I would have been happy to only get the same sound. But for some reason it seems to also sound better anyway... :-P

So guys, get the electronics books out and work it out for yourselves, it is worth it.

Ciao T
Old 9th July 2010, 12:35 AM   #1462
Nate805 is offline Nate805  United States
diyAudio Member

sweet amp tangmonster!!!! where did you get the boards you ordered?
Old 9th July 2010, 06:27 AM   #1463
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate805 View Post
sweet amp tangmonster!!!! where did you get the boards you ordered?
If you search in ebay for lm3886 you will find 2 kinds of board that has space for 3 x lm3886 in parallel. In hindsight i should have bought the bare boards of the amp you used. Mine has a piece of pc board behind chips that HAS to go underneath heat sink. Yours you can bolt down flat like you did.

I bought mine unpopulated. Yours is available unpopulated too.
Old 9th July 2010, 11:53 AM   #1464
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
ThorstenL, could you explain how did you managed to make an LM3886 stable with a gain lower than 10?
I don't have Thorsten's fear of copycats, so here's a tip. Google (feeling lucky) for AN-1604.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:42 PM   #1465
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I don't have Thorsten's fear of copycats, so here's a tip. Google (feeling lucky) for AN-1604.
Shiit! Now I own you a beer!

Thank you very much. I am not going to develop anything, but have some kind of student curiosity for something that I thought was impossible to achieve.

Regards,
Regi
Old 9th July 2010, 12:53 PM   #1466
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
Now I own you a beer!
Good - I hope its a QingDao dark

Quote:
Thank you very much. I am not going to develop anything, but have some kind of student curiosity for something that I thought was impossible to achieve.
Yeah its one of those secrets 'hidden in plain sight'. I was first introduced to it many years ago in Thomas M. Frederiksen's Intuitive IC opamps, a book I most highly recommend. I'm always wanting to reduce the gain of my chipamps, so I'm encouraged by Thorsten's mention that lower gain ones sound better.
Old 9th July 2010, 02:34 PM   #1467

Hi,

Quote:
I did not know this App Note, it is a very good summary of the whole subject, including well worked out examples.

And I am happy for everyone to calculate their own stuff, then work a layout that does not cause extra problems and then find that whole darn thing still oscillates and then fix the oscillation.

I just do not like to put a schematic up here and find the PCB's on e0bay the next month, with no royalties or even acknowledgement. So those guys should calaculate their sh!t and design it. Given that most are completely incapable of doing so means my stuff is perfectly safe from them.

Ciao T
Old 9th July 2010, 02:55 PM   #1468
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post

I just do not like to put a schematic up here and find the PCB's on e0bay the next month, with no royalties or even acknowledgement.
Ah, this just brings to light the different thinking styles between East and West. Over here, imitation is a form of paying respect; words are an irrelevance when actions are doing the speaking.
Old 9th July 2010, 03:22 PM   #1469

Hi,

Quote:
Ah, this just brings to light the different thinking styles between East and West. Over here, imitation is a form of paying respect; words are an irrelevance when actions are doing the speaking.
I would agree if the imitation was done due to having gained an understanding and then applied it. This indeed is respect.

Just taking what you do not understand from someone else and copying it for gain is not considered respectful even in China, though it is often considered good business sense.

The first I do not mind, the second I mind very much. And you are right, it is the actions that speak in these cases.

Ciao T
Old 9th July 2010, 04:26 PM   #1470
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
I would agree if the imitation was done due to having gained an understanding and then applied it. This indeed is respect.
Yep, they'd doubtless differ on that. Understanding is only gained by doing, interacting, not merely by hearing - I think that comes from Confucius.

Quote:
Just taking what you do not understand from someone else and copying it for gain is not considered respectful even in China, though it is often considered good business sense.
Do you have examples? The students I've had the pleasure of teaching in the ways of the Western world seem to have no sense that plagiarism is somehow disrespectful - that's a totally Western meme in my estimation.

Quote:
The first I do not mind, the second I mind very much. And you are right, it is the actions that speak in these cases.
Where is the loss to you if some others gain (not merely the copier but also the purchasers) by means of your designs?

Hide this!Advertise here!