Chip Amp Photo Gallery

LM3875 Guitar Amplifier

Got this built after taking a long time to design the preamplifier and getting the chipamp section to work flawless.
Lots of hours spent trying to get just the right sound out of the fender tone stack circuit and testing various speakers.

Uses LM3875 at 35 volts 1amp in single supply mode.
Has a 8200uF cap on the power supply, and a 4700uF for the output capacitor. Optional components were added as specified in the TI datasheet since it helped greatly reduce any chance of circuit feedback considering the sensitivity of the preamp.

Preamplifier is designed around two 2N5551 transistors having plenty enough gain to almost bring the chipamp to input clipping using the input set to clean. Clipping should not be an issue with normal guitar playing.
When overdrive is toggled it puts two "fuzz" diodes into the second transistor output and increases the first transistor stages gain, keeping the overdrive/clean at the same volume levels.
Power on/off is also the volume control. When turned on at full volume even with overdrive turned on there is absolutely no hum. Tiny bit of white noise from preamp transistors, but no more than any other guitar amp at full blast with no input.

Sure it could use more power but it is plenty loud to shake pictures off the wall and get noise complaints and enough for a practice amp or playing along with some other people :D

Don't ask me about the names of the controls or where I came up with "Yellow Crush" lol.
I may post the schematic in the future but I have to draw it in software first.

I want to thank everyone who helped me with the grounding help. I took all the advice and feel that I did a pro job under the hood.
Most all of it was built out of scrap parts, hence the not so professional looking chassis.

More: DIY LM3875 Guitar Amplifier - My Photo Gallery

Attachments

• 11 - qRh2cIH.jpg
    11 - qRh2cIH.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,720
  • 10 - WtIYRGJ.jpg
    10 - WtIYRGJ.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,671
  • 09 - 8Ygp7BA.jpg
    09 - 8Ygp7BA.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,630
  • 08 - 3OFirl0.jpg
    08 - 3OFirl0.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,664
  • 05 - b45bxst.jpg
    05 - b45bxst.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,662
  • 01 - SQXxjaA.png
    01 - SQXxjaA.png
    928.3 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
On the contrary I think the guitar amp is awesome... I was waiting for you to post the schematic as you mentioned you might... I may do something similar with parallel lm3886's for a friend.
I will get around to drawing it up ASAP. I will probably make a thread just for that alone, and if you want I will keep your username in mind and send you it.

Yellow Crush Guitar Amp Schematic

For those who were curious about the schematic to my LM3875 guitar amp shown above in this thread, well here it is..
Hand drawn using an old engineering stencil but it should be legible. Too lazy to make the schematic in software yet.

I do not believe there are any errors in the schematic.
You will notice a few oddities with part values on the LM3886 but I simply used parts that were as close as I could get to what the datasheet suggested and it works perfectly fine.
The 1uF capacitor on the negative side of the chips positive input bias seems to be necessary when using it in single supply mode. I received this advice from a few other people and it does help reduce turn on thump and any bias hum without any detrimental effects.

Cable to the Clean/Fuzz toggle switch and cables to the tone stack should be shielded and grounded as shown for best results and to reduce any ground hum/loops.

Please give credit where due. It took me a long time to model the right values for the tone stack and design the preamp just right from scratch :)

Attachments

• YellowCrush.jpg
    YellowCrush.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
So the 1k just limits current and creates filter with 2200uf for the preamp supply.
Exactly.

Are the feedback resistors really megohm multiples?
The only resistors that are in the megaohms are the ones for each transistor going from its base to the preamp positive rail which is 2.2Mohm and there are only two total.

Any further questions should probably be in PMs so not to derail the purpose of the thread, but thanks for the input :)

BTW in my last post I meant "LM3875", no idea why I said 3886 lol. For some reason the edit button is missing.

Last edited:
Peter Daniel's lm3875

....straight forward implementation of the spectrum audio gainclone. Sound is amazing. Only mod is i put 1000uf caps instead of the panasonics. Trafo is an old trafo from an onkyo AV receiver which is a 5 kilo monster. I used the 35 volt ac secondaries. Ideas from the case i took from the pics of this forum ( thank you guys), maybe i put an alu front instead of the PVC plate in the future. Total cost of the project is around 120 euros. Case is custom made from alu plates ( alu verkauf de). Wooden sides are screwed to the alu plates.
I used premium parts froms from Hificolective store in uk. Have not ordered the parts from Peter because I might have payed customs ..... so thank you Peter for this nice pcbs and the extremely quick post

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.