Chip Amp Photo Gallery - Page 138 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2010, 12:13 AM   #1371
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

F5 power supply is here http://www.firstwatt.com/downloads/F5-om_sm-080527.pdf
Nelson Pass design. The F5 will spank the chip amp but no doubt the chip amp is a great amp and a lot of fun to build and listen to. Anyway, the power supply really makes the chip amp a bit of a beast. The bass is super solid and just about everything about the music improves. If you consider it I would buy the BrianGT Aleph Mini power supply board for $9. To avoid the looong time I endured to get rid of that veil I would go with Panasonic TSHA caps or go to ApexJr.com and get his Nichicon 10000uf caps which might still have that veil for a while but are only 2.99 each and are actually quite good. Either way 10000uf for each power supply cap. With that board you need 6. It is basically the Nelson Pass F5 power supply. Its a fantastic supply you can use and reuse in a lot of amps.
Uriah
Old 24th March 2010, 01:01 AM   #1372
Pato666 is offline Pato666  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Pato666
Uriah, thanks for sharing that PDF, the whole document looks like excellent!
Thanks for the tips!

In your oppinion, what would be an accepted value for ripple? Well, I'm not trying to be out of topic, I'm sorry. i'm just curious about that.

Thanks again.
Old 24th March 2010, 04:30 AM   #1373
diyAudio Member

Pato,
I really dont know. I have not studied what is best for ripple current. I can only justify my recommendation on experimentation and having built several chipamps with several different power supplies and having used 3 different brands of caps for power supply including TSHA. They were really fast. You could hear it in the music. You will often see people recommend the Panasonic TSHA as a good power supply cap. I am using it in the MYREFC Ultimate BOM because first it fits the board but second it has been a great performer for a lot of chipamp builders as well as class A amp builders and the price is very affordable. Its not a 30 dollar cap but its one of the best inexpensive caps and it fits nicely in the circuit board I recommended. I think that building up your power supply is going to wow you with that amp. What you have right now is only the beginning of how good it can sound. Looks great to!
Old 24th March 2010, 06:57 AM   #1374
slomatt is offline slomatt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted205 View Post
i really like that . Not to sure how safe the top 'grill' is though, also maybe treat the wood like a guitar neck
Thanks. I was a bit concerned about the "grill", but all high voltage connections are well insulated and when the enclosures are stacked only the amp module is accessible.

- Matt
Old 24th March 2010, 06:26 PM   #1375
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato666 View Post
In your oppinion, what would be an accepted value for ripple?
An 'accepted value' is when you cannot perceive any ripple through your speakers or headphones. With the PSRR specification of the LM series you can afford a lot of ripple. That is why the Gaincard and many of its clones get away with 1000 F per rail.

The reason for big capacitors is not only the ripple suppression. It is also a matter of bringing down the power supply's inner impedance. The bigger the capacitance, the lower the frequency unto which the impedance remains low. And when the impedance is low the voltage drop across the power supply remains low as well, which in turn leads to a more constant amplifier output voltage inspite of the varying load a speaker poses at different frequencies.
Old 28th March 2010, 08:14 PM   #1376
diyAudio Member

I've seen this schematic on chipamp.com

Click the image to open in full size.

UDailey, is this a good supply, anywhere near the quality of the F5 PSU?

Also, please can someone explain the 0.1uF cap in series with a 1R across the output.
Old 28th March 2010, 08:47 PM   #1377
diyAudio Member

I dont think its real close to the F5 but its a lot less expensive.
Here is a better CarlosFM supply
Point to point wired LM3886 chip amplifier with a hi-cap snubberised PSU.
Then you can read about his improvements to the LM3886 circuit. Okay, improvements in his mind and in many others. He really did a lot with LM3886 before they banned him. Sure he probably still does but anyway he changes it several times so read the first few pages at a minimum. He might go over the supply and explain it later but I am not sure. Nuuk has a good description of the circuit over at decibel dungeon.
Improving the Non-Inverting chipamp
Uriah
Old 4th April 2010, 04:51 PM   #1378
diyAudio Member

Default Buffered LM3875 mini amplifier

I made this amp for my desk at work. Input runs through monocor LTR-110 transformers to 50K smd attenuator, then a FET buffer board from ebay before the LM3875s. The input transformers are there because the amp will be used to test audio content on different laptops & other sources, and this solves the ground loop & noise issues you often get with laptops etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0565.jpg (838.7 KB, 1290 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0566.jpg (831.8 KB, 1173 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0563.jpg (997.6 KB, 1269 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0564.jpg (626.1 KB, 1209 views)
Old 4th April 2010, 07:13 PM   #1379
diyAudio Member

Nice build ! ... could you tell me where you sourced the speaker terminals from?.. I fancy those for my build.

Ta
Joe.
Old 4th April 2010, 07:14 PM   #1380
diyAudio Member

Interesting = using the intermediate caps (in pics @ center right and far right) in your "point to point" wiring. Good show, and better than my own poor wiring.

Hide this!Advertise here!