Chip Amp Photo Gallery

yes its a heat-pipe, it was taking from a old technics amp. the pipe gets warm after several hours use, but nothing to get concerned about.

i forgot to post its lm3886 with 1500uf each rail and a 24v 300va transformer.

oops i was supposed to say 15.000uf not 1500uf.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 1,875
In what way you think the sound quality will improve when using bigger caps?
To be honest, this for me is the first amp I build so I'm very new with it.

I was already really surprised that what I created played right away after powering it up.:D

If I want to increase the capacitance, can I simply put extra caps parallel or do I have to exchange the existing ones?

Well, my first diy amplifier long time ago was the LM3875 (Audiosector) it comes with a 10uf cap for power supply. I experimented many values and at the end I kept 10000uf per rail. I remember using Black gate caps on the board (1500uf) and 10000uf on the power supply board. if you just want to "experiment" with more capacitance....just add them at the power supply board. Some people say these Chip-amps sound good with small power supply...and they do!, But the bass is "shy" with small power supply, as soon as you put "hefty" power supply (capacitance) you will "literally" feel the bass. and just to test this, you can use alligator jumpers to disconnect quickly and see the difference that way you do not have to solder/unsolder caps.
Some people will say ,you will "loose" detail in the sound with big power supply...I say, NO WAY!.

no larger transformer will not help here - chip amplifier can "eat" as much as he can before protection will be activated- no more. This is about the ripple filtering. sorry for offt. in picture gallery. here my latest LM3875 - with 4700 + 2200 uf per channel rail. also sounds good.

Attachments

• DSC09988.JPG
    DSC09988.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 1,875
Last edited:
no larger transformer will not help here - chip amplifier can "eat" as much as he can before protection will be activated- no more. This is about the ripple filtering. sorry for offt. in picture gallery.

You are right, this is not the place to discuss this.
Thanks for the info anyway, I have learned a lot from it and will do some experiments to see what I like best.

Don't skimp on capacitance, it's pretty cheap these days.

This for sure is not the reason I did not add capacitance.
Its simply because the amp I've build has been tested with a lots of different capacitance and has been discussed a lots too and the conclusion from quiet a lots of people is that the setup like P. Daniel has made sounds the best.

I maybe will try to add more but until now I'm very satisfied with the setup.

Did you ever try your amp with the same capacitance I use now? who knows it may sound better:D.

FYI, I also use a 500VA transformer but for only 2 LM4780 chips.

Greetz

Last edited:
My first step into DIY audio! Finished it a few hours ago and I'm so pleased right now. It sounds great to me (and I have absolutely no good references before). I was worried about cooling not being enough, cooling grease running to the chip-pins, and noise from power supply, but there is pretty much no hum and it seems (so far) to be cool as well. Soo happy!!

maia81.jpg

2zf751f.jpg

30stsfa.jpg

iznod5.jpg