diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   Gainclone has 1/8-1/4 the volume one channel (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/78564-gainclone-has-1-8-1-4-volume-one-channel.html)

Jimmy154 28th April 2006 03:43 PM

Gainclone has 1/8-1/4 the volume one channel

My Gainclone has 1/8th-1/4 the volume, to my ear, on one channel. All I did was unplug it for about two weeks to test an amp out and then I plugged it back in and it had this problem.

I haven't tested it yet, but I will of course. Any one know what causes this? Right off the bat I just guessed one of the caps was working. But that was just a wild guess, thought I'd mention it anyway :D

Jimmy154 28th April 2006 05:58 PM

It seems to have gone back to normal after being on for a few hours.

I still would like to know what can cause this, if anyone wants to say.

Jimmy154 17th May 2006 08:39 PM

I have the same problem again. This time it hasn't gone away yet. Any one know what could cause this?

RDV 17th May 2006 09:09 PM

Have you tried a different cable?

RDV

Jimmy154 19th May 2006 08:53 PM

Hmmm . . . I wouldn't expect changing the power cable to do anything, since I run a single transformer and the problem is on one channel. I thought maybe since a gain clone is so simple and many people have them that some one might know that it's the caps or the chip or maybe I would expect some one to say it's bad soldering. Which is not likely I think. I'm thinking it's one of the caps, but I dont know. I seem to have the problem every day now, when I turn on my amp for about a few minutes to an hour.

I guess I could say once it warms up it's ok. What could it be, any one know? :dunno:

jaudio 19th May 2006 09:13 PM

Do you think the potentiometer is faulty?

Jimmy154 19th May 2006 09:46 PM

Why didn't I think of that? :xeye:
I think it could be, in my very unexpert opinion, and I have replacements. Also I don't know if I ever even moved it since I've had this problem. I never use the gain on the amp, so I totally forgot it even exists. It's set at a very quiet setting and there is a point at which one channel stops playing when you use this pot and then set it even lower and the other channel stops playing. So the pot is a little of wack at low settings.

I think it is the pot, but I'll see next time I turn on my amp. I feel kind of dumb missing that if it is the pot :xeye: I always miss the obvious things the easiest I guess :rolleyes:

RDV 19th May 2006 10:20 PM

I meant signal cable.

RDV

Jimmy154 19th May 2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RDV
I meant signal cable.

RDV

Oh sorry. No the external cables are not the problem. I checked those. I switched the RCA cables and the problem was still on the same side, same thing with the speakers.

Nuuk 20th May 2006 08:59 AM

With so few joints in a GC, it's always quicker to re-solder them all than write a post here!

But I agree that the pot is a likely suspect too! ;)