Gainclone has 1/8-1/4 the volume one channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Gainclone has 1/8th-1/4 the volume, to my ear, on one channel. All I did was unplug it for about two weeks to test an amp out and then I plugged it back in and it had this problem.

I haven't tested it yet, but I will of course. Any one know what causes this? Right off the bat I just guessed one of the caps was working. But that was just a wild guess, thought I'd mention it anyway :D

Hmmm . . . I wouldn't expect changing the power cable to do anything, since I run a single transformer and the problem is on one channel. I thought maybe since a gain clone is so simple and many people have them that some one might know that it's the caps or the chip or maybe I would expect some one to say it's bad soldering. Which is not likely I think. I'm thinking it's one of the caps, but I dont know. I seem to have the problem every day now, when I turn on my amp for about a few minutes to an hour.

I guess I could say once it warms up it's ok. What could it be, any one know? :dunno:

Why didn't I think of that? :xeye:
I think it could be, in my very unexpert opinion, and I have replacements. Also I don't know if I ever even moved it since I've had this problem. I never use the gain on the amp, so I totally forgot it even exists. It's set at a very quiet setting and there is a point at which one channel stops playing when you use this pot and then set it even lower and the other channel stops playing. So the pot is a little of wack at low settings.

I think it is the pot, but I'll see next time I turn on my amp. I feel kind of dumb missing that if it is the pot :xeye: I always miss the obvious things the easiest I guess :rolleyes:

Thank you for the help everyone.

The pot was not the problem. It was either the chip, resistors or damage done to board by soldering. But I think it was the chip. It made some extremely loud sounds when i was soldering the board that scared the **** out of me :eek: I think I might have left it plugged in, while soldering. I had another board and chip around from a setup where one channel didn't work, probably the chip again. And I used the channel that still worked from that pair of boards. It's a little different it has a resistor across 2 pins the chip, should I put a resistor on the other channel?

DC offset :confused: I don't know the terminology :( Is that the rectifier? Converts AC to DC, that thing?

All I changed was the chip, PCB board, and resistors and it works. Only thing is that the chip has a resistor across two of it's pins, was wondering if I should remove it or put the same one on the other chip.

Jimmy154 said:
DC offset :confused: I don't know the terminology :( Is that the rectifier? Converts AC to DC, that thing?

No, it's not about that.
i don't know exactly where dc offset comes from (maybe it's due to the dc rail voltage that 'enter' in the signal path), but surely it's not good to have a huge dc offset (hundred of mV).
try to put your multimeter (set on 200mV dc) across the speaker binding posts of one channel (or between chip pin 3 to ground) and see what it measures.
do the same with the 'dumb' channel.
the louder channel should have an higher dc value.

All I changed was the chip, PCB board, and resistors and it works. Only thing is that the chip has a resistor across two of it's pins, was wondering if I should remove it or put the same one on the other chip.

I guess it's the feedback resistor.
Is it across pin 3 and 8? If it's so, you'd better don't remove it!
You should have another feedback resistor on the other channel chip.

I hope to have explained myself in a decent way and that it helps :)

Yes the resistor is across pin 3 and 8. I don't hear any difference between the 2 channels. I guess I will put the resistor on the other channel when I get the chance or maybe it is already on there. I have to look, but the channel I removed did not have one. And also see what it does.

Ahhh yes much better! :D

There was a difference between having the resistor and not. I noticed it a few days ago.

I used to get "feedback" (don't know what that means exactly) or slight humm sometimes very noticeable (at night esspecially) and sometimes not so noticeable, on both channels, cause I forgot to put those resistors in. I noticed that the problem stemmed from the signal inputs going past the power input wires to the transformer or maybe some other wires too or maybe the transformer inself. I'm pretty sure the term feedback refers to this effect (interacting with the electromagnetic field maybe?), but I'm not sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.