Pre-amp for chip amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Cal and Jleaman,
Thanks for the reply! I bought some lovely vintage 25k clarostat dual pots and I can just pop 1 in for volume and a rotary switch for select. However, my mp3 player will not play using the LM3886? This is why I thought I needed a pre-amp? Do you know where I can get a crash course on how opamps work in relation to sound, gain and all those other terms I'm a little rocky on?
Thanks guy's,
wotsascott.

Why not ESP? I used to drive my GC with a Death-of-Zen pre-amp with excellent results. Now for something completely different, I currently drive the Sonic T amp (mister...don't mention the t-amp in this forum) and again am very happy with the way it sounds.
The DoZ pre-amp is cheap, simple to make, has great documentation, you can always ask Rod from ESP for advice and he will respond quickly, and it just adds some gain without audible distortion, hiss or other unwanted sideproducts.

Pre-amp <again>

I popped in a cheapy CPC pre-amp with tone controls and now my MP3 players fine <it's an old 20gb toshiba>. The Doz looks fun so I may give that a go.
Thanks one & all, it's nice to have some fresh answers to basic questions I have. The last project I built before my amp was in my physics 'o' level <long time ago>.
Which amp and preamp or intergrated amp do you guy's recomend for my games/listening room? My GC is now dismantled as I'd done such a bad job!!! Safety first fella's.
So, What say you? What's the best and most fun to build?

I am wondering, that they are so many long threads about buufer and pres for gc.

It seems that many people (including me) are looking for the best possible recipe for gc buffer/pre, but until now now i didn't found a clear simple recipe for it and there is no nice :xeye: kit (like audiosector.com or chipamp.com gc kits).

Unfortunately i was studying machine building and i can build or tweak some amps only having some very clear instructions or ready kit.

Reading those inifinite threads with hundreds :bigeyes: of posts about pre/buffer is really difficult.

I hope that one nice high quality simple kit with ad815 it will appear one day ...

sinski, :cool:

Sinski, I have yet to hear the AD815 pre-amp so cannot comment on the sound quality relative to the other pre-amps that I have built. But I can tell you that it is not a 'simple' design, so don't hold your breath waiting for an easy-to-build kit.

There are a couple of designs for pre-amps on Decibel Dungeon that surely couldn't be much simpler to understand and build! ;)

Hi Nuuk,

Yes, you are right. Design with ad815 is not simple. Finally i decided to build the discrete buffer with with the BC547/ZTX 653 from Decibel Dungeon.
Before i was thinking about making something similar to new Kore-Eda preamp from Sakura. They are only few parts around opamps and for the ps i would use some ALWSR with better tranny and caps.

Cheers, sinski

Nuuk said:
Sinski, I have yet to hear the AD815 pre-amp so cannot comment on the sound quality relative to the other pre-amps that I have built. But I can tell you that it is not a 'simple' design, so don't hold your breath waiting for an easy-to-build kit.

There are a couple of designs for pre-amps on Decibel Dungeon that surely couldn't be much simpler to understand and build! ;)

Why do we need simple though? Since we are a sharing community, why not simply the best possible preamp? I meanm what whould it take, a schematic, a pattern to etch, and maybe $3 worth of discrete parts. It can't be the cost, maybe the time and I can understand that since I"m not volunteering either (but might help if enough other motivated participants started this, as I too have a GC and am looking for a nice buffer with a slight bit of gain to it.

IMO, (IOW), what we need is a design that doesn't pass through a single capacitor in the signal path.

All that aside, to the OP: If you are in a rush, choose any JFET opamp with a fairly high bandwidth (above 20MHz) and make sure it has clean power.

! said:

Why do we need simple though? Since we are a sharing community, why not simply the best possible preamp? I

Yes, i woluld like to have best possible design with best possible sound. It can be simple, or complex, but it has to be relativ easy to build and what i am missing is just a ready ps pcb and pre pcb for one simple or complex gc buffer.

I have build already few complex circuits in the past, but always with ready pcb.

Something like "Premium gc buffer" kit with best possible components similar to premium kit pro Peter Daniel is just not existing yet.

So, finally:
I am just missing a good quality pcb for gc buffer and i am wondering :confused: again, that they are so many people looking for gc buffer, but there is no ready pcb to buy.

Cheers, sinski

I am just missing a good quality pcb for gc buffer and i am wondering again, that they are so many people looking for gc buffer, but there is no ready pcb to buy.

There's no doubt that it's great to be able to buy a 'simple' kit or PCB but look at it from the other side. It's a lot of work to put together something like that and then sell it at a price that appeals to enough DIYers to make it either self-financing, or dare I say, profitable.

Given that even a single design is constantly evolving (look at the AD815 for instance), who is going to say, "that's it" and go out and have some PCB's made and hope that they can then sell them because the design has changed yet again (or another design has become 'flavour of the month')?

If there is a demand for a simple GC buffer PCB or kit, and you have spotted that market, then how about supplying one yourself. If this truly is 'a sharing community' then perhaps we need more people to share the input as share the output! :att'n:

Here endeth today's lesson! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.