Linkwitz LM4780 PCB Proposal: Comments Wanted! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2006, 11:50 PM   #1
dfdye is offline dfdye  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Linkwitz LM4780 PCB Proposal: Comments Wanted!

After building a set of LM3886 amps based on the Linkwitz circuit (which I really like!), I figured I would try an amp using the LM4780 based on the same circuit layout. Since I haven't used this chip before, I figured I would ask:

1) If anyone has used the Linkwitz circuit ( http://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/graphics/3886amp.gif ) using the LM4780 as two LM3886's. I know other amps (Brian and Peter's come to the front of my mind) use this chip in a similar manner, but I was specifically interested to see if anyone has used the Linkwitz topology. It should be fine, but there is no since in re-inventing the wheel if there is someone who has already found out any issues. (Searching the forum didnít show much, but I figured someone has to have done this!!!)

And 2) Attached is a proposed PCB that fell together rather nicely, but I figured I would run it past more experienced designers first. Particularly, I am concerned about the V+ section coming from the input pin header to C+ and the input signal traces running along the top right edge of the board. If anyone has any comments either way as to whether my concerns are justified, or if I am in good shape, I would appreciate the feedback. Any suggestions or comments about the rest of the board are welcomed as well!

Thanks!
David

As a side note, I started off trying to make this a single sided PCB. That idea got trashed rather quickly, but I was wondering if anyone has used a single sided LM4780 PCB?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lm4780c.jpg (37.7 KB, 1044 views)
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, I hope nobody finds anything! I just dropped in a prototype order (with a bunch of other stuff too . . . ) so I guess we will see how it comes out!

David
Old 5th April 2006, 01:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

just letting you know that someone is reading your thread with interest...

-Dwight
Old 5th April 2006, 02:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

do you mean to use additional opamps, or use the LM4780 itself as one of the components in a filter network?
Old 5th April 2006, 05:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
do you mean to use additional opamps, or use the LM4780 itself as one of the components in a filter network?
I am not sure I understand you question. I am using the LM4780 as the amplifier, not a filter.

(If I misunderstand your question, please forgive the basics. . . .)

I am treating the LM4780 as two LM3886's. If any additional filtering is required, I will indeed use external components. I am currently planning on using these as part of a multichanel amp that will drive actively filtered speakers, so yes, I will be using additional opamps as a filter network, but I am not considering the LM3886's to be part of that filter network. The exception is if I use the two 220uf electrolytics in CGA/B instead of a 10uf film cap. This effectively filters most of the high end response if you are using these amps for woofers. This amp layout is pulled right from linkwitzlab.com, but I guess a copy of the schematic might be helpful. The Ci* cap does add a filtering, but again, that is not really the point of this circuit.

If this is not what you were asking, sorry for the tangent.

David
Attached Images
File Type: gif 3886amp.gif (22.7 KB, 646 views)
Old 5th April 2006, 05:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by morgandc
just letting you know that someone is reading your thread with interest...

-Dwight
Thanks! I'll let you know when I get the amps built and tested.

David
Old 5th April 2006, 07:11 PM   #7
alexcd is offline alexcd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to alexcd Send a message via Yahoo to alexcd
Looks pretty good. I'm having a hard time keeping the output stable in a bridged configuration. Make sure you use small bypass caps very close to the chip and keep leads short and neat. Ballast resistors are required if you plan to bridge channels.
Old 5th April 2006, 07:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Rail lines are too slim, David. Image it in real size and imagine, that there should " flow " 10 A....
Old 5th April 2006, 08:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dfdye
I am not sure I understand you question. I am using the LM4780 as the amplifier, not a filter.
Using the overture series chips as part of an active filter has been tried -- not by me -- I haven't heard (or seen) any results published so I wonder if it is stable in this app.

Old 5th April 2006, 09:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
I haven't heard (or seen) any results published so I wonder if it is stable in this app.
Ah, now your question makes more sense. I am not sure, but I have not tried it in that configuration.

David

Hide this!Advertise here!