How to power a led inside an amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finished a chip amp last summer, and didn't really use it. I had forgotten all about it until today where i pulled it out, i thought what the heck and gave it a spin.
I was actually amazed at how well it sounds, don't really know why i didn't realize that at first.

Well im going to build a case for it, and i have just ordered a better power supply. But i was thinking about adding a led of some sort to the front panel to tell me if it's on or off. How do i do that the easiest way? Would it be stupid to add it after the rectifier? Should i add a small powersupply just for the led or? (i know how to calculate resistors and all, it's just where to take the power from :))

Sorry if this question is really simple and obvious but im not good at figuring such things out :)

Hi,
you could use the LED to give an indication of low power rails or one failed rail.

Wire in a series string of LED, Zener and resistor across both PSU rails.
Adjust the resistor to give a suitable brightness.
When it dims or goes off there is something wrong.

Let's use a CCS, then you can adjust the brightness.

Schematic attached.

Attachments

• led_ccs.gif
    led_ccs.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 447
Anders, I use LED's to bias my stages. They could hardly get more in circuit than that. And lets face it, the LED and resistor are going to be fairly stable (consistent) just sitting there emitting light. Is that 5mA or so significant compared to your amps current draw? I think Nordic is right about not using only one rail, but I also think it might be insignificant in practice. I'd do it either way, whatever fitted best.

Isn't anyone going to rave about the audibility of a LED? About which color sounds best? What about the fact that a LED is also photosensitive and will put a voltage back on the rails if the lights are on in the listening room- sure it's tiny, but is it audible?

I 'm very disappointed...

I_F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.