The ActiveClone...Great idea or nonsensical pondering?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

Last night i was having issues sleeping and, as usual, I started pondering ideas for projects...

I have wanted to build an all active loudspeaker for some time but just never got around to it, I didn't like the idea of having to build 4+ amplifiers on seperate pcbs as well as piecing together an active xo circuit...

My idea is this: A gainclone pcb consisting of 4 lm3875 or lm3886 chip amps and a 2 way active crossover (Stereo pcb, so, 1 gainclone per driver). The Resistors and capacitors for said active XO would reside on a small cartridge, so, 1 pcb with the chip amps and PSU circuit and another pcb with the resistors and caps for the active XO.

So, whenever i want to make a new crossover for a new set of speakers all i have to do is calculate the values ,solder some caps and resistors to a cartridge, and plug it in.

Neat eh?

When i get home i'm gonna start working out a pcb.

If there is enough interest in this then i will certainly look into having these produced in quantity...

komen said:
I don't see any other problem than increased lead length compared to normal XO circuit. Is it real problem or not? I don't have enough experience tell you that, but long leads can allways pick up noise and can contribute to oscillations.

The leads could be kept pretty short...and i would ensure that there is really good conductivity through the connectors...

owen said:
Or of course you find a Behringer 2496 digital crossover and have more crossovers at your finger tips than you could possible imagine....

Owen

But that takes the fun out of it;)

Plus aren't those kind of expensive in comparison to a diy active amp? Granted, in the long run if you plan on building a sh*tload of speakers, then, yeah, i could see the digital XO an okay idea...

But if you only plan on building a few for personal use then this seems like something that would be handy...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.