Mauro Penasa's My Reference 3886 "RevC"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I quite like my LM4780 chip amp, but I couldn't get this pair of "audiophile" LM3886 amps to work, and i cant be bothered spending time on them. Less than a week old, cost $100 , pass them on for $50 plus postage. As is, they dont work, but the chips are just about unbustable so shouldn't be a big deal to get going if you have skill and time.
See http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/ for details on amps.

supra.

You'll need to post some closeup photos of the boards if you expect any takers.
About the only way the amps will not work is if there is faulty soldering or components improperly placed, even though they are clearly marked.
I had not built an amp for 36 years and although now 72 years old built Mauro's My Reference LM3886 Audiophile Amp successfully, which surely shows that it is not so hard to do, with a little care.
Why not go over the solder joints with a hot iron and check the components carefully?
If you need further help post on Mauro's original thread and someone will surely help you.
I can tell you the effort will be worthwhile as it's a great sounding amp.
It is dissapointing when things do not work, but sometimes these things happen for such reasons as being rushed or distracted. We are all human after all ,so are not infallible.

Regards,

Audie.

Supra, I have the same problem and I am absolutely frustrated too. In my case things are even worse: Got my RevCs running - really great :eek: sounding, nothing left to wish, a 100% success. Then I accidently shortcut the outputs and :dead:. Month later I tried to fix them, asked here, followed a reply and had at least one channel running again after just 5 minutes (fried R). During further Investigatons (checking voltages to compare) I managed to shortcut the LM318 and :dead: again.

Are we men or are we mice ? :whazzat:

Let´s just start a thread and I´m sure we´ll get our cuties (back) to life.

I am just curios based on Supra's apparent familiarity with audio circuits what exactly he was having trouble with. My 11 year old nephew was able to finish his with only a minimal amount of coaching. So I am awefully curious. Always looking for ways to make the beast better so constructive feedback is always welcome. Literally houndreds have been built.

Of course people (especially me) will make mistakes. Shorting a circuit or something like that is awefully annoying, but there is no way to prevent people from doing it if they are going to. :no:

Anyway, debugging a circuit is a hands on thing. Start with PS and work your way through to the signal/feedback loops. Use the publicly available schematic to guide your testing. Ask questions when you reach an impass.

I am always glad to help in any way I can.

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.