Transformer issue - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2006, 02:35 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

How bout each in parrallel then sereised?

2 trannys
Old 23rd March 2006, 04:49 AM   #12
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

David drop the first slash to do the quote... i.e. start with [
Old 23rd March 2006, 07:29 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys,

So to recap is there anyway to run them at a lower voltage?

the
[/quote\]
I think wiring primaries of both transformers in series(with each trafo's primaries wired in series too) could be a possibility to reduce output voltage twice
[/quote\]

anyone ever tried something like this?
Old 23rd March 2006, 08:11 AM   #14
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi Filholder,

you must run the 120 +120Vac primaries in series when in the UK using 240Vac mains supply.

If you choose to run two transformers in series then the transformers must be almost identical. A very small mismatch is acceptable. BUT the loading must also match and the load on each must also be in phase.

If you cannot meet these requirements then the transformers will not share the input voltage evenly.

Light Bulb Protection Circuit

A good safety rule for first connecting a new PSU to the mains is to wire in a light bulb in series with the primary of the mains transformer.

If the load is light and correctly wired up, the light bulb briefly flashes and cools and the filament reverts to a small resistance and passes most of the mains voltage to the transformer.

If the load is high, either due to a miss-wired connection or a heavy current demand, then the bulb flashes on and runs at a glow or brighter. The heavier the load the brighter it glows. The higher resistance of the hot filament reduces the voltage fed to the transformer and possibly saves you from a catastrophic failure.

Go wire up a plug top feeding a light bulb then into a three pin socket outlet.
The neutral and earth passes straight through from plug top to the socket outlet.
The live from plug top goes to light bulb terminal and from the other terminal goes to the live terminal of the socket outlet. Insulate it and fix the holder and socket back box to a mounting board.

So you have an extension lead consisting of plug top, light bulb in holder, socket outlet. Plug into the mains and the light bulb should be off.

Use this every time you experiment with a modification and/or build a new circuit. You can select the wattage rating of the light bulb to suit the size of load you are testing.

It will stop you blowing fuses and potentially save you a wad of money on destroyed components. It should even stop reversed caps exploding.
Old 23rd March 2006, 08:18 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Davidlz,
start your reply.
go to the "quote" box. It's two lines above the reply box.

Copy and paste or just type the previous posting into the dialogue box. Then OK.

You can copy before you start your reply or copy, after you start your reply, from the postings that appear at the bottom of the reply page.

It always puts the quote at the end of your current reply. So you can either paste the quote in place first and then compose your message around it or highlight and drag the quote to it's intended position.
Old 23rd March 2006, 11:16 AM   #16
Garnett is offline Garnett  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

When you type in the bit in the box (ignore the different coluors, they're irrelevant)
PHP Code:
[QUOTE]
This is what will be in the quote box
[/QUOTE
It should look like this:
Quote:
This is what will be in the quote box
Usually mitigation for all my dumb questions: I will endeavour to make sure I explain everything I find out on www.substitutereality.co.uk so that other newbies like me have a useful resource to check first...
Old 23rd March 2006, 01:02 PM   #17
Bazukaz is offline Bazukaz  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Bazukaz
By the way , i would prefer to unwind some of transformer's secondaries , it would be a much better solution than connecting them in series, and you would not need to distribute load evenly.

Regards,
Lukas.
Old 23rd March 2006, 02:22 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi,
unwinding the secondary will reduce your VA rating in direct proportion to the turns reduction.
Old 23rd March 2006, 05:57 PM   #19
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Even if it did work, putting 240V into one or both 120V primaries would result in a higher secondary voltage, not lower!
Old 23rd March 2006, 07:02 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

ok if i put this tranny with a single 43 v secondary thorough a single or dual rectifier is there anyway i can get +/- 21.5 plus zero volt outputs?

Hide this!Advertise here!