Capacitor question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is hopefully a quick easy question to answer, on my gainclone amp from audiosector I want to block DC I know you can put blocking capacitors at the input and my question is:

Can you put them at the output?

Because wouldnt you then stop the small amount of DC so have a DC 'offset' of zero and also protect them from both things.

Is the reason because you need higher rated ones so outweighs the cost of doing or some other reason and also what is a good value to use.

Thanks very much,

The output dc is small and may be either polarity. Normal electrolytic capacitors should only be used with a dc bias of a reasonable percentage of the voltage rating or the capactor "forming" will fail.
To couple a full range loudpeaker would require a capacitance value of at least 4700uF, so non polarised capacitors are not available.

Single railed amplifier designs have big ecaps in the output, eg Quad303, original JLH class A, several Pass designs. The audible effects of this cap has lead to plenty of debate on this forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.