Best place for discrete buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Considering that i'm going to bi-amp my bookshelf speakers with a pair of GC's each, with active crossovers etc, and having found a discrete 3-transistor buffer, my question is:

What is / are the best place /-s to place the buffer?

a) before the active crossover (1 buffer)
b) between the crossover and the GC's (2 buffers)
c) both of the above (3 buffers)

The discrete buffer is the one found on Nuuk's site, in the Buffered GC chapter. ( http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/gainclone2.html#discrete )

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
It all depends...

If you have any sources with low outputs, you might want a buffer with gain in front of the pot. Buffers in front of active stages are good, because they make sure the crossover operates in a known condition, and if your crossovers are mounted a distance away from the amp, then an output buffer is required to drive the cables. But then your crossover circuit may already have input and output buffers built in. More info is needed.

A pair of bi-amped bookshelves, using a Seas L15RLY/P each, and i haven't yet decided on a tweeter. All i know is that i want a fabric dome tweeter. In an attempt to reduce costs, i've even started considering using a cheap chinese dome tweeter (some Vifa look-alike replica: http://www.d-audio.hu/product_306/c...a1fa3ebbf22b700f660b103fcc1/product_info.html ) :xeye: At least until i'll raise some more cash to get a pair of Seas 27TDFC/TVs...:D

That's not a bad strategy and often what I have to do. At least if you start with something OK, you can really appreciate any up-market replacements! ;)

I reckon the active crossovers described in the DD Project section would do the job for you! They are based on the same circuit as the three-transistor buffer so you get the crossovers and buffer for the same price! I was totally satified with them until I moved to full-range drivers and open baffles! :att'n:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.