NICHICON ST (Super Through) CAPS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2006, 01:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default NICHICON ST (Super Through) CAPS

I just bought 4 10,000uf Nichicon ST(Super Through) caps to use with my completed 2 channel LM4780 amp. I will be using these to replace the supplied 1500uf Panasonic caps supplied in Peter's kit.

Actually, I have currently upgraded the caps to the Nichicon 4700uf caps, but I was SO impressed, I decided to experiment further with Nichicons premier caps.

Does anyone have experiance with the ST's or opinions about what I may find when I make the switch??
Either on the ST or the uf rating!

Thanks,
Dominick

PS- I got the caps from Percy Audio.
Old 7th March 2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

The time is now to look into adding a snubber...
Old 7th March 2006, 11:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
You can read here how good S-T caps are: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...ght=#post80531
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 10th March 2006, 03:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Comments from anyone else?

Dominick
Old 10th March 2006, 04:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default ST caps

A capacitor serves two purposes in a power supply, supply storage/ smooth AC ripple and block high AC frequencys. A snubber will stiffen the upper frequency rejection, Oh and by the way snubbers have been used for about 50 years, there nothing new.
A power supply cap is a power supply cap some are faster, some tighter, lower ESR ect... but they still do the same thing, kind of like a garbage can some blue some brown, black or gray, some with lids that latch some that dont, but they all hold garbage.

Hide this!Advertise here!