Helping me get my head straight - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2006, 12:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Helping me get my head straight

Hi there

im struggling with the way everything fits together. i want to make a website about building my amp with my absolut beginners views. what i havent seen is a website that shows a good overview of the whole process. i want to be able to go from an overview into detailed bits on every part.

ive drawn a very bassic table which i hope shows how the various stages of the music system fit together. can you look at it for me and suggest any improvements and additions.

i haven't included a phono stage, because im not a big vinyl fan but if someone can think of a good way to fit it in then please tell me.

also as i understand it each stage except the speakers need power (although im sure even here there are exceptions - there generally tend to be in this game!).

can people also suggest which are the best power supplies at each stage (or atleast list some of the options) and also put wether a power supply can be sheared by different stages.

when im done i want to be able to draw a basic diagram with all the different possibilities for every stage, with suggested values/specifications for each, breif descriptions, and reccommended sources and part numbers.

hopefully each stage can then be broken down, possibly even to the component stage but i know this will take a long time.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th March 2006, 07:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi blottojon,

Nice diagram.

Maybe the "active preamp" should spread across the 3 power amp sections like the "passive preamp" and marked as optional.

Also, seeing you have included "bi-amping" you probably should add "active crossover" before "bi-amping" and "passive crossover" after the other 2 power amp options.

Generally, you need separate PSUs for each of the items in your diagram as the have different voltage and current requirements.

regards

Hide this!Advertise here!