The DIY gainclone chassis thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Although I've yet to get a working gainclone (or even the parts), I figure I may as well make an enclosure. This is not as crazy as it sounds, as A. I'm in an art metal class, and B. I'm getting class credit for it.
Does anyone have any ideas for unusual designs? I was thinking of hacking a computer heatsink in half, and using it for the sides, and using a copper overlay on the top. (I can cast the knobs myself, so odd designs are not a problem. I've also got plenty of gears.)
Lastly, can someone get me the URL for CarlosFM's latest LM3886 and regulated PSU schematic? (They really ought to be stickied.)

You can cast bigger than that if your instructor is up for it. ;)

Look into slipcasting. :) lotsa fun. I'm assuming you're talking lost wax process though?

You should be able to cast heat sinks in a good size though. And the possibilities are waaay out there for some truly unique and interesting work in this regard. You should be able to get a five or six inch long casting in most centrifuge machines - if you don't have the right size flask you can sometimes cheat, but that'll be up to your instructor. :)

I would stay away from computer heat-sinks unless you do plan to go forced-air.

Otherwise - you're the one taking the class. Dream big. Have fun.

12 years since I entered the metalshop - currently building my own up. :)

C

Raoul said:

I think you might run into problems when casting a heatsink. My impression is that many cast aluminums have a lower density than the aluminum used is most heatsinks. Might not be the best material for heat dissipation.

I've got a few aluminum computer heatsinks availible. That said, if I'm casting, I'd use copper anyway. We've got loads of scrap, and copper casts very nicely with a cheap centrifuge.
Plus, I could solder on the fins, if necessary.

So, can anyone come up with a crazy idea? I was thinking something that looks like a metronome. I've got some very fine tools, and can cut things out of a sheet of copper with near-CNC precision. (I was thinking about cutting a dragon out of a sheet of copper, and using it as an overlay. Trite, but stylish nonetheless.)

Also, are the 2200uf and 100nf capacitors reccomended by CarlosFM in his regulated PSU design included in his v.4 chipamp design?
And should I go with the ordinary snubberized PSU, or the regulated PSU?

Spasticteapot said:
Although I've yet to get a working gainclone (or even the parts), I figure I may as well make an enclosure.
This is not as crazy as it sounds, as
- A. I'm in an art metal class, and
- B. I'm getting class credit for it.
Does anyone have any ideas for unusual designs?
I was thinking of hacking a computer heatsink in half, and using it for the sides,
and using a copper overlay on the top.
I can cast the knobs myself, so odd designs are not a problem.
I've also got plenty of gears.

DIY gainclone chassis thread -
I would have expected a lot of images here ;)

Chipamps don't appear to be too fussy about heatsinking judging by the small size that many DIY'ers use. I'd say as long as you have a fair sized lump of copper or aluminum to screw the chip to you can't go far wrong.

You're the one doing the art class, so I think the design should be up to you :D

So, can anyone come up with a crazy idea?

That's your job, no? Or are you just taking a crafting class vs. one where you come up with the unique ideas AND make 'em happen?

Metronome, if you want. But I can imagine possibilities with the tools you have available - a metronome type thing would not be anything making unique use of those tools. :)

Just realized, it's been 15 years not 12 for me. :p

C

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
a metal box is often used because it shields the circuitry from RFI interference, and if the circuit catches on fire, it will contain it.

However, the gainclones seem quite immune to RFI and there really isn't much to burn. Also, its true that people are using about 6 x 4 inch plates for heatsinks so you are free to do about anything.

I can see some nice copper heatsinks made out of 1/16" sheet , bent and patina'd in a freeform design. The power supply can be a ways from the chips. Probably look more cool if circuit board aren't used...

I have always wanted an amp with exposed components mounted on a board that I could hang on the wall...

Maybe make it scary and bomb-like..

I think I'll go with a metronome-ish looking thing. Here's a quickie sketch. (See attacheed image.)
The smallish lines are copper fins. They'll likely be more evenly spaced, but you get the idea. I intend on placing the transformers in another box entirely, so that I can keep it small. The red rectangle is where I intend to put two "VU" meters (can anyone reccomend a cheap-0 kit that won't hurt sound quality?), and the blue knob will be for the volume. The power button will likely be mounted to something sticking out of the top.

I've also got three options for decoration:
1. Enamel. I've finally got the knack of using the stuff. I can do all sorts of crazy desgins; I've got a kiln and a half-dozen types of torches.
2. Overlay. By cutting the design out of a sheet of metal and placing it on top of another, I can get some crazy designs.
3. Etching. I've got access to a ferric-chloride bath, and some resists. (NOTE: Sharpies make a pretty good resist on copper. (I've yet to try it on silver.))

On the actual circutry:
1. Do I need two 30 volt secondaries or two 15 volt secondaries for the regulated PSU? (Or can I use a center-tapped 30 volt?)
2. Can I get away with carbon resistors in the PSU? (They're supposed to result in unpleasant audio; I won't argue.)
3. Where can I get perforated, unetched, dual-sided PCBs? (Drilling is a pain in the kiester, but I've got access to etching supplies.)
4. Will using a single power supply for both amplifiers adversely affect sound quality? If so, how much?
5. Where can I get a good VU meter kit? (I'm a sucker for flashing lights.)
6. Can anyone tell me the best method to get audio from a computer to a gainclone? (Preamp+DAC?)

Attachments

• smallchipampdesign.jpg
    smallchipampdesign.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 689
Nordic said:
I think retro is the future... did you say you can do enameling?
Why not try one of those 50s looking enamel finishes... one of those off-greens or something... even the shape you chose would be perfect if you round the corners a bit etc.../could add shiny or chromed bits and borders...

Yep. I'm just getting the hang of it; I'm currently wearing a silver and blue enamel ring right now.
Can you give me an example, by any chance?

hmm lemme go look for pictures of 1950s toasters or something...

I'f you saw the Robots movie, you should have a good feel...
Think of things like old fridges etc... the lines will come to you

radio.gif

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.