PSU caps for tweeter only GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have done a search but and can't seem to find if this has been discussed before.

I want to build a pair of LM3875 Gainclones that will only be used to power 8 ohm tweeters crossed over no lower than 6 kHz. And I am wondering what the optimum value would be for the power supply capacitors (on the pins of the chip).

My first thought is to stick with 1000 uF but is there anything to be gained in going a bit lower?

And I am also thinking of bypassing the electrolytics with 0.1 uF film caps!

Well if you can go low enough, then you could use better than electrolytic caps I guess. I certainly found that bypassing with 0.1 polys has huge impact.

I guess it also would depend on what PSU you're using, as you could go real small for the caps on the pins anyhow.

edit: assuming this is for a multi-way active setup, then personally I would like all amps used exactly the same. But this is just me.

I guess it also would depend on what PSU you're using, as you could go real small for the caps on the pins anyhow.

You just reminded me! I will be using them with the Skynet SMPS modules. I am currently running the full-range drivers with such a set-up and the sound is wonderful so I'm going to use the same for the full-range drivers (that effectively become mid-range in the new set up) and tweeters. Woofers will also be GC (LM3886) but with linear PSU.

1000 uF works very well for the full-rangers at present so I'll probably stick with that but it should be possible to go lower with the tweeters. And as you point out Vikash, that would allow something more 'exotic' to be used if (I feel the need)! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.