chipamp PSU problem, need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there, I already asked question on ChipAmps forum , but nobody seems to know how to solve problem...

Just finished, PA100, chipamp and snuberized regulated PSU.

Testing one chanel (board) everything is beautiful, rail voltage is steady +/-27V, dc-offset 15mV, testing other the same thing... Absolutely beautiful...

Now the funny part, when I connected both channels(boards) to a PSU I got massive voltage drop and negative LM388 got too hot to touch... I used a single power tranny (separate windings), a single PSU, two rectifiers (ready made, rated 7A) LM388 regulators... So, every board works perfectly, but when they are both in system sh.. hits the fan...

Alexw amp.
http://shine7.com/audio/pa100.htm

Regulated psu , nuuk's pages http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot...gainclone6.html

LM3886 does not need a regulated power supply.Feel free to try +-38 volts(These chips can handle +-42V).However , continous operation at +-38 Volts is only considerable if your loadspeaker impedance is >=8 ohms.LM3886's has an unique Spike protection , which is annoying when turns on , but keeps output transistor array in safe temperature range.

Regards,
Lukas.

It can't be too much because I'm using four TDA7294 with +-41V rails regulated with a pair of LM338, and they don't fold back or oscillate even when three of the four TDAs are driving 4 ohms. Input voltage to the regulators is 60V without load and falls to 48V with heavy load. Capacitance is just 20.000uF at the input and 8.400 at the output of each LM338.

The most likely cause for the problem that you describe is oscillation due to bad layout, due to capacitive coupling between ICs through the heatsinks or due to having capacitors of different kinds paralelled everywhere thus creating resonant networks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.