Best amp for a newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I'm interested in building my own hifi equipment, and have just started reading online about the Sonic Impact T-Amp and the Amps offered by 41hz.

I currently have an old Marantz amp driving some KEF Q55.2 floorstanding speakers with an old Marantz CD63 as the only source.

Please can anyone advise me on what kit amp I should look at first? My preferences are ease-of-build, and quality of sound. I don't care about looks.

At the moment I'm dissapointed by the slightly woolly bass of my current set-up.

I'm a bit mystified by all the different terminology. I've searched on here, but I'm struggling to find recommendations. Sorry to bother you with such basic questions. If all you want to do is direct me towards good online information resources, I'm only too happy to try and figure all this out by myself.

Thanks for any advice or website addresses you can provide.

Hi,

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago, i started off building a 'Gainclone' or 'Chipamp' as they are also often called. Probably the best chipamp kits for beginneers are the kits sold by www.chipamp.com and www.audiosector.com . These are very simple to make and good value IMHO

These are actually both run by people on thse forums and you will be able to get good advice of of them and the other user here.

It is very easy to make an amp using these kits that will blow you old amp out of the water.

Other kits to consider are the Class-D amp from www.41hz.com, they have some great kits and at reasonable prices. I have build an Amp3, that is a very tough thing to solder and i wouldnt advise it on anyone unless you have a lot of experience soldering surface mount stuff. Sounds great though. Of the currently available 41hz style kits the Amp6 is probably the best to build as a beginner, it is mostly through hole components and has an on board power supply so you will only need to supply a transformer and connector to ge a working amp.

Thats my take on it anyway,

Ps your in the work section for this, try Class D rather than ChipAmp

Thanks Filholder. I've had a look at the websites. Those amps sound good. I had a look at 41hz.com but struggled to differentiate between the amps they supply.

You recommend the Amp6? Then I'll look into it more.

Nordic. It's funny you should mention speaker protection. I've just been reading how one guy will not use his kit amp with his best speakers, and it left me wondering whether there was something you could put in the way to protect them.

Could you post me a link to those amps you recommend. I can't find them.

Thanks

Since you said you have an old Marantz amp. Are you trying to build something better?? Some of the "old" stuff is pretty good. I would sugest a Twisted pair Rev C kit, or a similar kit from Chipamp.com the 3886 variety. Lower on power the LM3875 stereo kit can sound extremly good also. Good luck.

Nuuk, your site is great! Just spent far too long reading on it. It makes everything a lot clearer.

Thanks danielkwok. That site looks very interesting. I'm finding the navigation a bit tricky however. Also as I'm new to this, I don't really know what I should be looking at.

Can you give me some suggestions. I'm after a DIY replacement for a standard integrated amp. What will I need to order?

Also, do they deliver to the UK?

I think I need (with my intended sources):

A Pre-amp (Gainclone Preamp from Hifidiy.com)

A Gainclone kit (LM3875 from Hifidiy.com)

A Power Supply kit (Power Supply for Preamp from Hifidiy.com)

A Heatsink (Not sure - my old Marantz PM66SE?)

Is that right?

Thanks for any tips.

Why not go DIY all the way with the simplest options? That way you will learn more about what does what and be in a good position to upgrade as you feel the desire to!

Start with a basic GC, inverted or non-inverted. Pre-amp? There are two very good ones on DD that are well explained.

Components- try Farnell or RS Components, Cricklewoods for smaller orders or odd items but also have a look at DD for other suggestions in the getting started section.

GC's won't create much heat and the heatsink from your Marantz should be more than adequate.

Yes, building a system like this can be daunting to the beginner but if you do it in stages, it realy isn't too difficult. ;)

Hi Garnett,

You're welcome, I'm a newbie too!

They'll ship overseas, pls email them directly.

If you want to replace an int, I'd recommend to get the Pre Kit, GC Kit & the Supply Kit first. They do have beautiful chasis & a small trans for DAC which also fit for the Pre but freight will be high.

I've got the 1543DAC, Pre, 3875GC & 4 Chasis from them, they all work very well. I'd not say they're very best but they're really good for money.

If you want to know more about my works & need any help on documentations. you can email me at danielkwokhkg@gmail.com

Hope you enjoy your way into the DIY road!

Hi.
danielkwok, the hifidiy.net website seems tobe happy to accept payment on delivery, which I have never experienced before on the internet! I can't seee any other method of payment - paypal doesn't seem to work...

I opened up the Marantz PM66se I got from eBay to find a frazzled board :( - but this means I should be able to use some of the remaining bits and pieces from what's left. :)

A couple of my main concerns:

I want a system that will go fairly loud. Not often, but every now and again it's good to boogie.

I'm worried I may damage the rest of my system with my haphazard electronics. Is speaker protection easy to set up or do I need to calculate figures based on wattage and speaker specs?

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thanks Nuuk. I have been reading your site a lot, but sometimes I find it a bit hard to navigate, and find pages I have read before.

As I am so new to this, I think I am going to go for a kit for my first gainclone (yes - I am expecting to get hooked like, it seems, everyone does!)

I think I have decided on Mad about Sound's kit. I think a PCB should help me learn about how everything fits together. I have been getting pretty hung up on valve-buffered, inverted, snubberized, and every other version, but I figure I should start with the simplest and go from there. After all everyone seems to agree - the first time you hear one is the biggest revelation, whatever set-up. And also, the original Gaincards seem to have been pretty simple.

Nuuk - I was looking on your site for Speaker protection circuits and saw that Maplins don't sell one anymore. I followed your link to Quasar.

I found two circuits. One Mono and one Stereo . I prefer the look of the stereo option - it's cheaper, and sounds like it offers more thorough protection against damaging my speakers (which is what I feel I need with my inexperience). Is that right?

s there anything else I can do to protect my system from my own ineptitude? Or anything I should be especially careful about when building?

Also if I buy the kits, what else will I need?

Transformer: I would like to use the one from my old Marantz PM66SE, but it looks quite different from the one from maplins for £20. Any suggestions?

Enclosure: Again Maplins seem to offer a range. I liked the look of the black anodised hammonds but they all seem too small. Additionally, if I use the big transformer from my old amp, is there any reason why I can't mount the boards vertically next to it? This should make the whole thing almost cuboid and should make it easier to enclose. Any issues with shielding and the like?

Wire: Any recommendations? Or is wire wire?

A Pot: Not sure how these things work but could I use the one from my old amp? How do I tell if it's functional?

Speaker cable bindings: Again my old amp will be helping another to live.

Heatsink: Again the Marantz.

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Sorry to bombard everyone with questions. Thanks for any suggestions and help. Any replies are very gratefully appreciated.

Garnett:

1 Measure the AC output of the Marantz transformer. If it is between 18 and 25 VAC you can use it for a GC.

To begin with why not gut the Marnantz and use the case, heatsing and traffo? Makes things much easier for now.

I use single strands of CAT5 solid core for internal wiring.

Speaker protection: the Velleman modules (that I use) are available from CPC.

Build yourself a stepped atenuator as shown on DD.

I don't know what comes with a kit but you may need a rectifier bridge too.

Thanks Nuuk.

I think I will take your advice and build my amp inside the Marantz shell for the time being.

The kit I'm looking at comes with Rectifier boards

I couldn't find the CPC Velleman modules, but Quasar's is pretty cheap, so I think I'll use that. The PDF on the same page also describes how to match it to the speakers used.

I think I'll get a pot for the volume control as well. The Attenuator looks impressive, but I just want to get something up and running, and then I'll think about modifying it. Are the £2 pots from Maplins a bad idea?

I'll go home and look at the transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.