Best amp for a newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Having bought a lot of pots from Maplin i have to say that to get something up and runnign the £1.99 Maplin pots arent that bad.

The cheaper smaller ones look better built but seems to track pretty badly. Remember you need a dual log pot i would think either the 22k or the 10 k would be best for your chipamp setup.

Once its up and running consider getting something better it will worth it.

Phil

I think I'll get a pot for the volume control as well. The Attenuator looks impressive, but I just want to get something up and running, and then I'll think about modifying it. Are the £2 pots from Maplins a bad idea?

Any pot will get you up and running (I suggest 25K or 50K impedance and you want a log type) and you can add an attenuator later and hear the difference for yourself! ;)

I haven't tried the Quasar units but they should be fine. :att'n:

Te he

Yeah they do, 22k dual log part number FX10L is that helps, and they arent that bad. It is also worth checking out the lucky bags of pots in your local Maplin, i had great succes in Forest Hill and Elthan Branches getting some pretty nice pots . Unfortunately my local one on tottenham court road always has rubbish :bawling:

Still not to worrying

Filholder, the Tottenham Court Road Maplin is just round the corner from work - I'm fast becoming a fixture.

Thanks for the part numer for that pot - very useful.

Right. I'm going to take the plunge and order the amp kit.

I'm sure it won't be long before I'm posting pics and asking more questions. Thanks for all the help so far.

Hi, not sure if you've ordered or not, but I sell those little green pots to go with the kits. And for a good reason too - they are excellent all things considered: http://www.madaboutsound.com/prod_det.asp?product_id=15

I also built one of my first chip amps inside an old Cambridge Audio amp and used a lot of the connectors, toroid etc. It's a good idea to get started with certainly. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.