Unity gain buffer in front of or behind TVC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've been very interested in wiring up a TVC like the S&B TX-102 or the Dan Slagle AVC, but I'm concerned about comments I've been seeing about a slight lack of drive and impact using these units unaided (since they are passive).

I'm going to try the TVC by itself first, of course, to see if I notice this effect. But if I do, would adding a buffer help out? I realize there will be other trade-offs by adding an active stage.

Also, if I do add a buffer, is there a general consensus as to which is preferable: before or after the TVC?

Thanks,
KT

Hi KT:

I had a chance to listen to both the S&B and Sowther TVC and must say I could not hear any drive-related irregularities. IMO, such problems occur when the source has a high output impedance. So, when using a buffer, it should be placed before the TVC. The TVC, unlike other passive attenuators, does not exhibit any issues relating to output impedance.

In case you're interested, I have designed an autotransformer volume control, which I am currently using in my system. I tried the version with and without the buffer (ECC86-based) and did not notice any significant differences (nor did my friends). You may check out the TVCs at my web site.

Regards,
Milan

Hi wilbur-x:

It's not so difficult to wind an ATVC. All you need is time and patience, and perhaps a good quality transformer core. If you have a couple of old transformer laying around that you can use for building your own ATVC, you can send me a picture and their dimensions and I'll do the calculations for you.

Regards,
Milan

I finally finilized my Integrated amp with TVC front end and can definitely state that it sounds better without a buffer in front. As and integrated solution, it also does not seem to need a buffer behind.

As a source, I was using my NOS DAC with passive I/V and 0.1uF coupling caps. I tried it with a buffer and I was loosing immediacy and adding coloration.

The buffer, OTOH, worked very well with a resistor devider based volume control in front of the same amp.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 282
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.