Is it normal that my MUR860's ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(Hi Cloners)

... differ greatly* by means of both forward and backward resistance (I'm talking of the difference between the diodes, not between the fwd and bwd resistance, obviously)? I've never used MUR's before.

I started wondering when my DMM gave me unexpected readings when I tried to measure the DC (and AC) of my provisional PSU (2*25V toroid, one secondary used, 4 MUR860's forming a full wave rectifier): instead of 35VDC and 0VAC, I measured 25VDC and 10VAC. (When measuring different selfmade PSUs, I always got perfectly expectable DC and AC readings on my DMM.)

I'm lost as to where the problem resides and if there is a problem at all and the next best thing to do seemed (to me) to measure the MUR860's resistance.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Peter

*I don't recall the exact values, but I'll repeat the measurement later.

Thanks, moamps.

By "capacitor at the output" you mean a (polar electrolytic) cap between the positive and the negative lead? No, I didn't use one.

And that seems to have made the difference. Now that I've connected pos and neg with a 1kµF I'm measuring 33,9VDC. Lesson learnt: a smoothing cap is mandatory when measuring a rectified voltage.

The reading on my DMM still isn't 0VAC, but is constantly cycling. I guess this is due to the remaining DC ripple that the meter can't interpret.

I take it that it's save to connect the PSU and the GC?

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.