another GC was built

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

First of all, I would like to thank people on this great forum. This forum helped me to build my first gainclone.
I used the kits from audiosector.com. The case is a Galaxy series GX287 from audiokit.it.

Attachments

• pic_0019.jpg
    pic_0019.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 538
Thank you, zatramusic, for your reply...
I used this layout because I didn't want to keep the LM boards close to the transformers. In addition, swapping the location of the LM and PS boards will result in shorter output (to speaker terminals) wires, but the length of the input wires will even increase, because of increase in distance from the LM boards to potentiometer.
I would say that the sound of this amp is rather neutral, not colored, in comparison to my Yamaha RXV495 receiver. There is no hum or noise, and, although the transformers are rather small (100 - 120 VA?), the bass is strong enough for me.

Thank you, guys..
I used these cheap transformers (about $10 each in local electronics shop), because I was not able to found the center-tapped toroidal transformer. I thought to buy two single secondaries 12V toroids which are used to power a fluorescent lamps or something like that, and connect their secondaries in order to get a center point. But this will be similar to use the 12-0-12 transformer, and may be somewhat underrated for GC.

mic_ael said:
Great job!

Is E-core tranny's sound good? why not torroidal?
anyway, congrats!;)

commstech said:

i think a nice pair of toroidals will make things sweeter..;)

EMMM - could you 2 guys explain WHY??? ;) :smash:

I mean - toroidal trannie is a compromise to get:
- lower costs,
- less magnetic flux "radiation" (but this can be easiily solved with classic trannies)
- and smaller size

But nevertheless - for top projects - EI (or even better C-core) trannies are No.1!!! :D :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.