FAULTY PSU - Mixing DESK! Please Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I hope that you will be able to shed some light on this matter...

I just picked up a mixing desk (soundcraft studio 24) which comes with an external power supply (model cps150) & the guy who sold it to me said that the etectrolytic capacitors are blown & it would be an 'easy fix'.

Lucky I have another studio 24 desk & opened up both power supplies & found that the capacitors in the faulty PSU were swolen (the tops were bulging out) compared to my other psu.

Will I need to just change the capacitors or could this problem be more sinister than it looks?? :(

Please see photo of faulty PSU.

Attachments

• faulty_psu.jpg
    faulty_psu.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 184
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I've fixed two or three of those looking exactly like that. In each case, there was nothing else wrong, but obviously, I can't be definite about yours without having it on a bench in front of me. Are the fuses still intact? If so, it suggests the PSU is ok apart from the caps, so swap 'em out for 105 degree rated ones rather than the 85s that are in there, (they get quite warm), plug it in and measure all the outputs before you connect it into the desk.

Looking at the supply design from the photo, there is little else on the board as delicate as those stubby filter caps. I would think that maybe they specified just a little to close to their failure tolerance. If it were me, I would avoid a "direct" replacement and opt for a higher voltage, higher quality replacement.

Pete Willard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.