LM4780 parallel transformer suitability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Part Number:
122-615
AVEL Y236503 160VA 22V+22V TOROIDAL TRANSFORMER

Is this a good transformer for paralleling two chips. I have been told to back down the voltage since I am trying to run Extremely Low Impedence speakers. They are ESL's.

But parts express offers 3 22v transformers with different VA ratings.
What VA should I get? Would one higher or lower than this be better.
I need a higher current.

Dominick

transformer suitabiltity

Trying to put into the simplist terms, V*A=W,so youve got a rectified voltage of +/- 27V about 1.5A to generate 90 to 110 Watts + or - so your supply will have to produce enough for at least 140 watts per parallel chip, for overhead. That 280watts 160VA wont make the grade on that one. least 330VA more like 500VA.

Dominick22 said:
Is this a good transformer for paralleling two chips. I have been told to back down the voltage since I am trying to run Extremely Low Impedence speakers. They are ESL's.
Just wondering but how low is "extremely low"? 2 x LM4780 = 4 x LM3886 => over 40 A max! ....but with 25 V peak you'll need much less than 1 ohms. If most of the power is bass you don't need to design for max power at 20kHz.

I am trying to push the Martin Logan Ascent i ESL's which I am told can drop as low as .1 ohm at high frequencies. I will try to create some kind of choke that will prevent it from going below 1-2 ohms, but I just need a stable circuit for now. I already blew one chip in the standard parallel design with a 25V 330 VA rating. This was just one chip though and now I am trying it with two.

So what you are saing is that I should remain at 22V and get the highest VA rating I can?

Dominick

I am having a hellatious time finding a 22V Torroidal transformer with dual secondaries rated between 300-400VA.

Any help would be much appreciated.

BTW: I tried digikey, hammond, ebay, altronics, and parts express already.

I need some other website options.

Thanks,
Dominick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.