What cheap-0 parts do you reccomend? (Or could you sell me some?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now that (thanks to a VERY nice forum member) I have the PCBs, I have to get the rest of the components. I have 2 ChipAmp.com PCB's for LM3886 IC's, and two PSU boards.
Can you reccomend inexpensive parts for use with this kit? I don't want to kill audio quality, but I don't have much money. I'd prefer to buy everything from one place, if only to save money on shipping.

Alternately, if you have appropriate parts, I'd be willing to pay for them.

Copied from ChipAmp.com:
Components for amplifier boards
2 LM3886TF
4 22 kohm 0.5w compact metal film resistors
2 10 kohm 0.5w compact metal film resistors
2 1 kohm 0.5w compact metal film resistors
2 680 ohm 0.5w compact metal film resistors
2 2.7 ohm 2w metal film resistors
6 100 uf 50v Panasonic FC
2 47 uf 50v Panasonic FC
6 0.1 uf BC polypropylene cap
Components for power supply boards
4 10000 uF 50v Panasonic TS Capacitors (35mm x 30mm low profile)
6 0.1 uf BC polypropylene cap
16 MUR860 On Semiconductor Diodes
4 2.2 kohm 2w metal film resistors
4 1 ohm 2w metal film resistors
2 blue LEDs
2 1N4004 diodes
2 10 kohm 0.5w compact metal film resistors
2 10 uF Panasonic FC Capacitors

If you happen to have any of these on hand, especiially the small capacitors and diodes, I would'nt mind buying them.
A transformer would be nice, too.

I think you can relax.
You do not need any special 'brands' components.

This is 2 advices:
- Capacitors in INPUT and FEEDBACK should be MKT polyester or MKP polyprophylene.
- Metal film resistors are recommended.

Misc:
1 Ohm and 2.7 Ohm, 2 Watt ordinary power resistors. Wire wound.
Electrolytic Caps, any normal will do, with correct uF and voltage.
Rectifier diodes can be ordinary Silicon, with correct Ampere rating.

It is people that does not know enough, that thinks Nice Brands will do the magic.
And those with too much money in the bank.

:D
This 'audiophile components' hysteria,
is nothing that comes from National, that makes them LM3886.
Same way, Nelson Pass almost never mentions a special brand for his projects.
And I would think he knows enough ..... and so does National technical staff.

Good ordinary quality components, YES.
Advanced snake oil expensive stuff, NO! Not necessary.
:cool:

Spasticteapot said:
Are "el cheapo" RadioShack components acceptable for the PSU?
Also, what identifies a carbon film resistor?

You will find that RadioShack components are not cheap at all. They are actually kinda pricey. I'm using resistors that cost $0.07 each, and Radioshack typically has 5 packs for $0.99, making them almost 3x as much.

You've got manufacturers for all the components in the list from chipamp.com, BC components, Panasonic, On Semi, so they should be easy to find at either Digikey or Mouser. I suspect you'll end up spending $25 if you have to order all those parts.

My advice is to make a long list list of every component you need. Then, pick Digikey or Mouser, and start filling in the components with real part numbers, quantities, and prices. You have a parts list that says exactly what value component you need and from what manufacturer, so you should be able to find it. I think BrianGT said all those components are available at Digikey.

Electronic components are pretty cheap. Buy them all together from the same place and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble. Just make sure you get EVERYTHING at once, or you will end up spending a lot more just in shipping.

Spasticteapot said:
Now that (thanks to a VERY nice forum member) I have the PCBs, I have to get the rest of the components. I have 2 ChipAmp.com PCB's for LM3886 IC's, and two PSU boards.
Can you reccomend inexpensive parts for use with this kit? I don't want to kill audio quality, but I don't have much money. I'd prefer to buy everything from one place, if only to save money on shipping.

Alternately, if you have appropriate parts, I'd be willing to pay for them.

You've got an engineering school in Madison :) right ? -- in every EE department there's a guy with a flannel shirt who keeps the coffers of resistors and capacitors stocked, he also has a milling machine, probably smokes cigars -- ask him.

Also, at one time UW had an active ham radio club -- these guys are even cheaper than Audio DIYr's -- ask there.

the thing which you want to save money on is the transformer.

You've got an engineering school in Madison right ? -- in every EE department there's a guy with a flannel shirt who keeps the coffers of resistors and capacitors stocked, he also has a milling machine, probably smokes cigars -- ask him.

No way...

He was in the basement of the physics department. A little German tool & die maker in a leather apron.

"Vy ef you make a line are you not cutting on the line?"
"Vell, ef you can make it 0.001" then why not make it to 0.001?"

and the ever present...

"Vat are you doink?"

Man that was great... and that's a bold statement looking back at 1973. There were, if I am recollecting correctly, some other VERY GOOD distractions available.

GET TO KNOW THIS LITTLE GERMAN TOOL & DIE MAKER IF YOU LIKE TO WORK WITH YOUR HANDS!!!!

We have a full machine shop, but the guy who trained new guys in the "student shop" was a great guy who had survived prostate cancer and would endlessly analyzy why his farts didn't stink any more! "Cause they cut out my a$$hole and I can't keep 'em in any more! They don't have time to leech the smell out of my S#*t!" :bigeyes:

He retired last year and is spending all day fishing and working on dirt track race cars! What a great retirement!

(PS hope the colorful language doesn't run foul of the rules! :D)

I take it acquiring the PCBs from chipamp.com and the rest of the parts for a pair from another site is cheaper than just buying two complete kits?

I ask because I haven't done much homework on prices, and my current project idea is a four-channel stereo LM3886 using two stereo kits. And all my budget comes from peoples' spare change and recycling aluminum cans.

sidehack said:
I take it acquiring the PCBs from chipamp.com and the rest of the parts for a pair from another site is cheaper than just buying two complete kits?

I ask because I haven't done much homework on prices, and my current project idea is a four-channel stereo LM3886 using two stereo kits. And all my budget comes from peoples' spare change and recycling aluminum cans.
I got the PCBs for free; for a while, they were'nt even selling anything but.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.