YAY - another LM3875 lives!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have finished my 2nd LM3875 amp thanks to loads of info and help on and from this forum :)

The chip is P2P which was interesting - quite fiddly really ;) Thankfully one of my soldering irons has a really small tip...

I used chipamp.com PS boards with Philips 20ns diodes and 4 x 10K uf caps fed by a 225VA 25V shielded transformer to give me a supply voltage of +/- 35.9V. These feed 12 x 2200 uf caps with 22nf bypass caps.

I have used slightly different values for the resistors - see attached diagram - these are 1% metal and 5% carbon as indicated. I used Panasonic 1200 Uf FC caps.

Comparing this to my other LM3875 which is a kit from madabout sound.com with the carlosfm snubberised PSU and zobel; the sound is more open and forward - really delightfully transparent but imaging is not quite as good and it isn't quite as refined. The amp is still running in so maybe that will change.

This is my first go at making a case - there is still a bit to do but it hasn't fallen to bits yet which is nice :D Other bits of tidying up will include adding copper sheet to the insides of the wooden bits and on the power supply wires.

The sides are MDF painted with car paint - I can't photograph them with a flash because they are so shiny and flat, the autofocus keeps focusing on the reflection ;) :D

Next one will be all aluminium - probably... I have set of experimental speakers to do first though :)

Attachments

• nigc-lm3875qs.jpg
    nigc-lm3875qs.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 329
Rodeodave said:
Nice! And also neat! Must be fun to build.

Are there any heat problems? I'm asking because a friend of mine wants an amp for his 19"-rack-PC-tower-whatever-with-wheels and I'm considering building a Gainclone. Can't wait...

Thank you. :)

Yeah, I really enjoyed building it. I need to invest in something that can power sand at 90 degree angles though :D I ended up using a ruler with sandpaper wrapped round it...

My other one is built into a 2U 19" case for the PSU and a 1U 19" case for the amp. The heatsinks don't get hot at all - I have used P3 heatsinks and they only get to about 12 degrees C above ambient when played loud.

As long as there is a sensible path for air in / out it'll be fine.

Attachments

• img_0023s.jpg
    img_0023s.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 301
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.