In search of a perfect attenuator - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2007, 04:31 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

TVC or PA (perfect attenuator)?

> or < ?

There is my question!
Old 30th January 2007, 06:03 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer OS.
TVC or PA (perfect attenuator)?
Both are fine and it's more a matter of system balance, voicing and proper setup, than superiority of one over another.

TVC will stay in my current system, especially when I need it for single ended to balanced conversion and it is already integrated with the amps.

In in the new system I'm currently setting up, I will use PA, as I want to run multiple amps (all single ended). PA needs a source with a good buffer for proper dynamics, TVC is less forgiving in that aspect as its input resistance can be very high.

When everything is well done, PA may have advantage, as it will be probably more neutral than TVC, but TVC can still make up for the defficiencies of a less perfect system.

PA also offers more steps (128 vs 24).
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st January 2007, 02:33 AM   #83
impsick is offline impsick  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bas Horneman
Hi Peter,

Where did you get the grayhill? I have a 7gang one..but know someone who is looking for grayhill switches like that.

Regards,
Bas

ps..I have not tried that many attenuators..and especially not in the same setup. But so far I like the DACT units and my Grayhill with intactaudio AVC. Next up....DiyHiFiSupply amorphous TVC's. On the same Grayhill (7gang) so comparison should be easy.
i have access to greyhills. if you need.
Old 31st January 2007, 05:49 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

can anyone please tell me if these apls are fake or not? i've been searching all over the web and there is plenty of talk but no images to go with. for the most part everything looks like an alps except the pins/lugs which i cant find on the alps site..Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st January 2007, 08:08 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

I just got a 100k alps from Parts Connection and the connecters on it are straight, no holes.
Old 31st January 2007, 08:31 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer OS.
I just got a 100k alps from Parts Connection and the connecters on it are straight, no holes.
yeah i know. say if you can or have some time could you take a pic of the insides, just with the back off? i'd appreciate it.
Old 31st January 2007, 09:12 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Unsolicited!

The one with Pins is from AMB's store, and the one with lugs is from a store in Taiwan that I mail ordered from.

Old 31st January 2007, 09:21 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

nice pics raro!!!
they look identicle. do they have the same number of brushes?
here is a shot of mine.Click the image to open in full size.
you can see 7
Old 31st January 2007, 09:24 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Heh - my little digital camera doesn't quite get that close - but it looks like 7 to me.
Old 31st January 2007, 09:27 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

sweet man. ya i couldnt count them till i got the shot. so you would agree buy the looks of things that they are legit? i wonder why the lug style isnt on alps web site?

Hide this!Advertise here!