RCA Jack/Plug Selection/Switches Pre-amp & 3875 Premium kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2006, 09:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default RCA Jack/Plug Selection/Switches Pre-amp & 3875 Premium kit

I am not sure what I want to use.... I plan to be running 89259 combo with the solid strand stuff RCA cabling, shielded. Inside the amplifier will be Cardas hookup wire 19.5 gauge and vampire cast hook up 26.4 gauge I think for signal. The speaker posts will be Cardas one twists (Percy has these for $36 a pair your choice of size and coating!). I will be using a 350va transformer (on a isolation pad and I need to find out where to get some copper sheet to shield it...).

I am debating what RCA Jack/Plug to use...

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/connectors.html

I was considering the WBT style Connex discontinued RCA plugs... solder (I have WBT silver solder to use) version with the WBT RCA jack's from Connex to match.

Are there any objections to these? They seem sound. I would like copper stuff but it cost a LOT of money, in fact it adds up to more then the amplifier itself and FAST.

Also does any one know if the parts connection 6 position switch will work for stereo operation? I was going to use a black velvet 250k pot from Percy in my pre-amplifier in shunt mode with resistors for logarithmic function (get some good ones from Madisound or some thing) with a switch.

Last question on average how much power do 3886 Twisted Pair kits put out with a 300-400va transformer or what ever they need? I realize they are cute little projects compared to my 3875 premium kit, but I thought about soldering some up for a friend because of the price.

Thanks
Old 30th January 2006, 01:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

No one has any experience with any of these things?
Old 30th January 2006, 05:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Complementary bump!

You're talking much nicer connectors and wiring than I've run on any or my projects (I've done very, very few). I'm content with my Dayton connectors (showing how newb I am), and run of the mill OFHC wiring.

Good luck with your project.
Old 30th January 2006, 07:31 AM   #4
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Since you're going to so much trouble, why use connectors at all?
Solder your interconnects directly to the board (or whatever system you're using), and avoid the problem (and expense) altogether.
Old 30th January 2006, 08:10 AM   #5
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quite frankly I have built gainclones costing less than those speaker terminals, including the trafo.

Also for the law fake I think a 100K pot is more appropriate...to fake to about 10k or so
Old 30th January 2006, 04:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I move my stuff around so no to the soldering every thing directly.

The difference between copper and not is noticable :/ I am thinking about Cardas because some of their stuff has a little bit of copper in it, probably better than none, but more important than a nice WBT connectoin? I am not sure.
Old 30th January 2006, 05:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

What are you building your chasses out of? Before you buy copper sheets for sheilding, you may want to consider just using whatever your chassis will be.

What is the 89259 combo? Is that a vendor P/N?
Old 30th January 2006, 11:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I was thinking tappable acrylic. Wood supposidly sounds best, but does not look as well with just wood only. Metal is not prefered.

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/i2.htm

I actually plan to use blocks of copper too, I also ordered a Torodial rubber type ring that is ment to absorb any vibrations that would otherwise radiate. The blocks would be between channels, and between transformer, as well as act as a heat sink.

Right now I am using some home made straight up 9259 coaxial for speaker wire and RCA. This stuff is impressive. The 89259 is a special version that works a little better for RCA signal, but most importantly it is heat resistant. I have had enough melting problems with te 9259 while soldering!

I am still thinking about what to use for interconnect what nots. I do so love copper, it makes a nice difference, but makes a not nice difference in price.
Old 31st January 2006, 02:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ahh, a Belden part number...

I would not be surprised if you found that metal works the best, because it provides some amount of shielding.

Personally, I'm in the process of building a chassis from wood (it will look the best in my living room, aluminum or acrylic won't match the hardwoods and brick fireplace) but it will be completely lined to avoid interference from all the stray RF that penetrates everything and anything. Using metal will minimize the amount of interference.

There are no guarantees, so maybe the amp will sound beautiful, and you will never have a problem, but it is just as likely you will be left struggling against RFI...

(I work with RF every day, occasionally with audio circuits, and I just don't want to have to deal with it at home)

As far as the interconnects go, I've always been perfectly happy with Dayton stuff from Parts Express and some nice quality cable (nice quality meaning proper gauge, proper strand count, and proper shielding).
Old 31st January 2006, 02:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=548

I found those but I have yet to find any copper content nice plugs for an ok price.

I have no CD player and my pre-amplifier and turntable do not emmit a lot of interpherance noise. I see your point in metal. Also though wood is suppose to sound best for chip amplifiers for the most part, from my reading. I am going to have some copper blocks in my amplifier so that will help with a few things. I I like the idea of some copper sheet to shield a little. Overall I think it might be ok to remmeber that even $1400 amplifiers do not usually have all the little tid bits I am putting into this, as well as you put into your projects. Hard not to want to go all out best on such an affordable project in comparrison to so much else out there.

Hide this!Advertise here!