RCA Jack/Plug Selection/Switches Pre-amp & 3875 Premium kit - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2006, 02:58 AM   #11
dfdye is offline dfdye  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer OS.
Overall I think it might be ok to remmeber that even $1400 amplifiers do not usually have all the little tid bits I am putting into this. . .
I get the bling factor of high end jacks and plugs, but as far as sound quality goes, remember that regardless of the expense or design of your connectors, the solder that you are using for the connections on your board are mostly lead and tin.

I personally would save the cash and go with the Dayton components (or the Exodus Jacks that you mentioned--those look pretty nice too). All of the Dayton hardware I have used has been inexpensive, well made, and has done the job quite well.

My favorite commentary on the subject is from Siegfried Linkwitz: "I have no problem, if people enjoy their music more, because it has passed through a certain interconnect, has been transformer balanced, amplified without feedback, processed through a reissued WW2 transmitter tube and sent to their speakers on litz wires of specific arrangement and purity, except that the money for these suggestions could have been spent on better speakers, for real improvements in accuracy of dynamic range and resolution. After all, the loudspeakers are by far the weakest link in the chain of components that are needed for sound reproduction."
Old 31st January 2006, 03:26 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

4% silver solder...... WBT stuff.

I understand speakers are often a wink link but when I keep getting better sound via every thing else... You have to have the stuff to back up your speakers before hand is a rule of thumb quiet literally. I understand the point you make, I just.... Well I have noticed differences in all of these componets so it seems important to me to do as well as I can. I notice the difference between cable and material more then any thing else, has nothing to do with crimping technique etc so much in my very little experience.
Old 31st January 2006, 04:24 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I understand speakers are often a wink link but when I keep getting better sound via every thing else...
Hey, don't let me stop you from getting the stuff if you can tell the difference and can afford the nice stuff! I happen to like the Dayton stuff from an economic and performance perspective and figured if you were asking for opinions I would share.

Looking back at the stuff you were going to get, none of it is approaching $2500 per foot for speaker cable silliness, and that is more what I was referencing. My whole take is that once you pass a certain baseline you will be in diminishing returns realms quite quickly. I think I was probably a little out in front of myself in terms of warning to strongly to use cheap components! I guess that was because I was pouring through the Madisound catalog and was looking at the Nordost cables. . . . Outrageous!!

(and what do you think the other 96% of the 4% silver solder is? )
Old 31st January 2006, 05:20 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Halogen free flux
Old 31st January 2006, 01:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Halogen free flux
Touche!

Just be sure to work in a WELL ventilated area!
Old 22nd August 2006, 06:43 PM   #16
chokh is offline chokh  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to chokh
Hi,
I had just brought a set of Furutech FP=106R RCA plug in Hong Kong for my silver interconnect cable.As the audio result is excellent.I have the first choice in my mind is WBT RCA plug.After compare the structure and material for Furutech and WBT,I have change my mind the selection of Furutech. Some body said the audio effect the WBt will be better.Does anyone had compared both RCA plug already?

K.H.Cho

Hide this!Advertise here!