DC offset on household ac line ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well. there are ways to measure it roughly. But it's taboo on this forum...

If your toroids are conservatively sized you should have no problem though. If you don't want to worry about just it; get EI's and get an EI with a shield as one step up.

percy said:
Is there an easy way to find out if there is any (and how much) DC offset is present on my household ac line or not ?

I have built an AC Mains servo circuit, to correct for DC-offset.
A simple uA741 OP-Amp will sense any offset via 2 resistors 2 caps network feedback
and activate High Current Relay Switches to correct Mains AC back to zero offset.

:clown:

percy said:
Is there an easy way to find out if there is any (and how much) DC offset is present on my household ac line or not ?
If you plan to use a toroid transformer just go ahead. If it turns out that it on and off hums rather irritating then you have a solution.

To measure the DC is rather hard to do so forget for now.

Here is thread about the topic.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2080&highlight=

DC offset should be rare now. The main cause used to be those live chassis TVs from the 1970s that had a horrible half wave SCR regulator. Hopefully these are long gone.

The power companies were not happy about these asymmetric power supplies as the dc load caused problems fot the substation transformers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.