What would you consider a quality component?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let's read Halcro patent....there is no text " this amp have ultralow distortion, 'cos there are used XYZ caps and ABC resistors... " - no guys, really hifi is about sophisticated connection, not about " ...dorf " components.... And is thruth, that good connection can make only man, which know, but exotic devices can use every f... ;)

Upupa Epops said:
Let's read Halcro patent....there is no text " this amp have ultralow distortion, 'cos there are used XYZ caps and ABC resistors... " - no guys, really hifi is about sophisticated connection, not about " ...dorf " components.... And is thruth, that good connection can make only man, which know, but exotic devices can use every f... ;)

Yes, depends on the circuit but sometimes it's not just a question of the quality of the parts, it may be more about the values you choose and what you do with them.

Btw those Halcro amps sound very good.
Fast, controlled, detailed. They seem to be able to drive any speaker you throw at them.
And they use switching PSUs.
This may be a shock for some. :D

Dominick22 said:
Carlosfm,

I wrote you an e-mail through the addy that you have posted. Did you ever get it. I sent it about a month ago regarding snubbers.

Thanks,

Dominick

I'm not sure if I got it, I still have my old e-mail account configured, from which I receive too much spam... Opera marks as spam what is spam, and sometimes what is not.

Please send again, sorry.
But you must be patient, sometimes I really don't have the time to answer to everything I receive, or it can take hours, because during worktime I don't even have the time to check my PM.

I'll just ask here Carlos...Peter Daniel suggested that I contact you regarding a snubber. He said that one of these might help to stabilize my amp when running difficult impedances!???

Anyway, I basically asked if you might sell any kits...

What links/tools I should use to educate myself...

Whether a snubber board would actually make the lm4780 more stable at difficult impedances...

And what other positive/negative effects a snubber would pose on the sound quality of the amp??

I wrote a ton more the first time, but I appreciate any help you can lend to me and other DIY'ers.

Thanks,

Dominick

Dominick22 said:
I'll just ask here Carlos...Peter Daniel suggested that I contact you regarding a snubber. He said that one of these might help to stabilize my amp when running difficult impedances!???

Anyway, I basically asked if you might sell any kits...

What links/tools I should use to educate myself...

Whether a snubber board would actually make the lm4780 more stable at difficult impedances...

And what other positive/negative effects a snubber would pose on the sound quality of the amp??

I wrote a ton more the first time, but I appreciate any help you can lend to me and other DIY'ers.

Thanks,

Dominick

There's some confusion goin' on there...
I don't have the time to make two page e-mails everytime I'm asked for 50 questions at once...
Anyway, don't expect the LM4780, with a 1,500uF cap per rail on-board and nothing more (that's for two channels!), to work fine unless you have really easy to drive speakers. And I mean really.
You should not pass 30V rails if you are driving speakers that dip low in impedance. In some more extreme cases an even lower voltage can be used (like ~24V).
Don't expect miracles in asking this chip to drive 'shorts', what kind of speakers do you mean by 'difficult impedances'?
You may need to parallel chips.
You have my schematics around here, just posted it again on another thread some minutes ago...

Carlosfm,

Didn't mean to come off as another nagging amateur expecting you to provide info like an encyclopeida (lol), but I did kinda come off that way.

First let me start by addressing a few of your concerns...I am paralleling two LM4780 chips per channel and I am upgrading the caps to Nichion 63V 4700 uf caps.

I have already tried pushing my speakers using one chip and it fried in less than 2 minutes.
Here is a link to the speakers so you can see for yourself. I am told that they fall as low as .1 ohm at hight frequencies.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=95

Its funny what you said about the transformer because Titedhalo just said this:

"Back down the supply voltage to +/- 22VDC, that will give you a little cushion for resistive dissipation in the amp. If you are useing the lm4780 in parellel, and I imagine you are, increase the output resistors to 1ohm 5W 1% non- inductive resistors, the amp will double its output current and stay within its dissipation limits, use a zobel of 2.7 3W and 1NF, and a 1MH coil that can dissipate peak current of the amp in rarellel with a 8ohm 3W resistor to unload capacitance. You wont drive them hard but the amps will work. PS lots of heat sink........"

What do you think?

Carlosfm, I searched for the snubber stuff on here, but I am just looking for some education on them. I see how to build them etc...but don't understand their purpose or if they can even improve my situation?

Respectfully,
Dominick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.