Problems with DC offset - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2006, 02:51 PM   #1
Buhl is offline Buhl  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Problems with DC offset

I have build a PA 100 - more or less as shown in the 1192 app note - but I have serious problems with DC offset. I measure 0.17 volts on two of the chips, and 1.18 and 11.9 volts on the two others !!
I am not using matched resistors or anything as mentioned in the app note, and the amp is DC coupled. I am using the schematic on the madaboutsound site.
Does anybody have any clou what can be giving me this huge offset - I dont find any errors in my implementation.

Cheers !
Buhl
Old 21st January 2006, 03:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi!

There are many here that would be able to give you an advice, but who are not familiar with this particular amp (out of probably several 1000 floating around in internet space). It would be helpfull (and also considerd courteous) to post a schematic.

Jan Didden
Old 21st January 2006, 03:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Jan
Thnx for the hint - should have thougth of it, as it is obvious that people cant help one if they dont know what to help with.
Here goes the schematic:

Thanks !
Buhl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pa100 amp.jpg (41.2 KB, 498 views)
Old 21st January 2006, 03:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Problems with DC offset

Quote:
Originally posted by Buhl
...I am not using matched resistors or anything as mentioned in the app note...
That is most likely your problem. Try following the instructions and see if that sorts out the problem.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st January 2006, 03:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok, thank you pink mouse - I will try, but really, almost 12 volts of offset due to unmatched resistors ??
How do I match them - I mean, better then my ohm-meter, can I apply some sort of voltage, and then measure the voltage drop ?

Cheers !
Buhl
Old 21st January 2006, 04:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Eek,I missed the decimal point on the 11.9V.!

2V or so is quite possibly due to component mismatch, but the 12V suggests a dead chip or wiring error. For sensitive matching of components, a Wheatstone Bridge is the way to go, quite simply made, and google will give you all the info you need rather than going into lots of detail here.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st January 2006, 04:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Do you measure offset with source connected or disconnected?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st January 2006, 04:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi peter
I measured without source.
I have found a dealer near me who sells 0.1 % resistors, so I guess this is the way to go. The two "crazy" offset values must be an error though..... i will go through the whole circuit to nigth.....

Thanks for helping !
Hans
Old 21st January 2006, 04:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Which chips are you using?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st January 2006, 04:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks for pointing out the first thing I should have thought of Peter!

Hide this!Advertise here!