LM4780 Capable of driving Martin Logan Ascent i's??HELP??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bazukaz,

Understand that I have already tried a single LM4780 in the parallel configuration and blew a chip in about 2 minutes running the ML clarity's. And I am trying to run the Ascents now!

So the question is...What is the remedy for an amplifier to be stable when driving a VERY LOW IMPEDENCE speaker??

Is it capacity??? current???What is it???

Dominick

tiltedhalo,

Thanks for the inp[ut, but please understand that this is my second project that spawned from my first LM4780. I am making every effort to learn the ins and outs, but I am still very much an amateur.

Please expand on "buffer". I did a search and came up with a ton of blind leads.

Thanks,

Dominick

Stability depends on PCB design , components chosen , and chip itself.
When driving capacitive loads , amp must be somehow isolated from very low impedances at high frequencies. It may be a resistor , RL circuit, or something else.
Did you read LM3886 application notes ? Theres is a section about stability.
I have built two 3886 amps.Two inverted channels of one amp were oscillating when no input cable was connected.They heated very much , but didn't blow , even left for hours.
I guess that you made something wrong , at this is the problem.Making amp more powerful won't make it more stable - probably otherwise.

LM4780

I will again say IMHO these chips are not designed to do what you want them to in a single bridge or parellel solution. There packadge disipation SAO shear inability to delivere high current to load at a respectable voltage just wont happen within their safe area of operation.
To put it in simple terms your trying to move a tractor trailer with a honda civic. 1 chip will put out around 120w parellel with a 35v/+- supply, thats a 70v swing, 120/70=1.7A, Ive seen ES's chew up amps dumping factors of ten:eek:
I would look at a dual LM4780 parellel then bridged with another dual parellel module 480W/70*2=3.4A. Done with global bootstrapped feedback some Feed forward compensation and you should get close to the qaulity of a single chip.
Back down the supply to 25+- and you should get 1/3 amp to load increase because each part of the bridge will see 4ohms, given an 8ohm load. 4ohm they will see 2 ect.... ,but at a lower voltage hence the higher current.

LM4780

PS I will have to correct a basic mistake the chip will drive the ES's at low frequency maybe not with the dynamics you would like, but high frequency will kill it. I took some measurments on the claritys :bigeyes: .1ohms at 18000 :hot: good by to stabability hello melt down.
By the way I used two of my amps on a set of ML's they held up alright for how long I dont want to hazard, but that was at power levels high enough to cause arcking.

tiltedhalo :

Where did you get that 2 chips can push 1,7 A ?

At +- 35 V rails and 4 ohm load , one chip will deliver 20/4 = 5 A avg. current.

Two parralel chips would give 10 A average current.

LM3886 have 7A internal current limiting(According to datasheet).

I have used 1 single LM 3886 chip for ESL speaker.No problems , even when trannie was saturating and actually shorting output of chip.

LM3886

Simple math and physics, V*A=W, W/V=A, If you are running 35V+ and 35V- thats a 70V R/R swing the chip is fully saturated running 67watts at .1% as per spec, that makes for 67W/70V=.95A. Yes the chip is current protected at 7 amps, but that all depends on power supply V load and the key to all that, the package dissipation of 120w.
If you actually have 70V swing at seven amps thats about 490watts thats a little over the dissipation factor of the chip.
So let back down the supply volts to 20+20- for a 40V swing at 7 amps that still 280watts.
The current limiting is for short conditions to keep the chip from going poof.

I still don't understand why do you calculate by using peak voltage values.
We are not talking about DC that flows through output transistors.
This for sure would saturate the chip at 0.95A or even lower.

As i understand , current goes from rail and load to ground , not rail to rail.

If you're measuring output current, then 70Vp-p is not what you should be checking out.

Going on the specs that a channel is happy driving 50W into a 8ohm load (with a 35Vp-p supply):

P=(I*I)*R
I-rms = (P/R)^(1/2)
I-rms = (6.25)^(1/2)
I-rms = 2.5A

Keep in mind, this was determined from rather conservative specs and that this is also RMS power. Peak current per channel would then be 3.5A, which is 7A per chip(though I wouldn't recommend pushing it to its peak power).

If my math's outta whack, let me know, but it seems to me that these are reasonable numbers.

Also,
PDMAX = (Vcc^2) / (2*(pi^2)*RL) [as per the app sheet]
so, lets say 60Vp-p into a 0.5ohm load
PDMAX = 364W

Although this is certainly high, it is definitely attainable by someone with a mindset to make it work (even if chips may not be the best choice in this case)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.