TDA2050 parallel. HELP!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I've done the parallel of two TDA2050 rather than LM3886, because LM3886 very hard to find in my place and second TDA2050 is cheaper. But I have a problem that I hope you all can help me. My newly made power amp (TDA2050 parallel) suddenly blown the right channel. I only drive a pair of normal 8 ohms speaker and my input voltage is only around 20vdc. Does anyone know what's happened?

Matthewong said:
Hi, I've done the parallel of two TDA2050 rather than LM3886, because LM3886 very hard to find in my place and second TDA2050 is cheaper. But I have a problem that I hope you all can help me. My newly made power amp (TDA2050 parallel) suddenly blown the right channel. I only drive a pair of normal 8 ohms speaker and my input voltage is only around 20vdc. Does anyone know what's happened?

did you use Zobel network at output?
1 cap in series with 1 resistor across output

also TDA2050 is sensitive to layout
I hope you have read TDA2050 datasheet closely.

Otherwise TDA2050 and TDA2052 are good chips for the money.

AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIERS ICs (ST)

TDA2040
(by SGS-Thomson)

This IC is almost the same as TDA2030, only it doesn't need the protective clamping diodes on the output. It behaves almost like general op-amps. I had a trouble with oscillations when I built this amp, which was caused by wrong PCB design. In my later designs it didn't occur anymore. This amp is fast, at least it's faster than TDA2030, and it's got one decimal order lower THD.
There is a similar IC on the market, also by SGS-Thomson, called TDA2050, which should be identical to the TDA2040 except for higher power.
Page of Cheap Amps

I've done everything. I just follow the layout given by ST Electronics. And the TDA 2050 has built-in thermal shut down, so it won't be the heatsink problem. I've using it for several hours, but in low volume, when I pushed it to around 11 o'clock, it only lasted for several minutes. What should I do to prevent this problem occur again? I only drive 8 ohms speakers not 4 ohms, if i drive 4 ohms speakers, i think it will blow in just 1 to 2 minutes time. Please help me to solve this problem.

Chips usually blow if conneted not properly.Inspect everything , and make sure that you used a mica insulator/thermal paste to heat sink , if it is grounded.
Some chips may not like parallel configurations.If doing so , you must
use 0.1% tolerance feedback components and ~ 0.3 ohm(2w) output resistors after each output.

Did you bypass power supply filtering with 0.1 mkf ceramic caps ?
Are all ground connections soldered to one point ? It is very important to ensure stability.

small capacitors

the small caps in parallel with big ones used to decouple or bypass an other armonic for example whats the use puting next to a10.000 mfd one 100nf and one 1nf???? the use is that each cap is responsible for a another armonic .... and also makes the big cap a bit faster ...
try to use a tantalium next to the output of any regulator and you will see very good results no mater if the rectifiers cap is 2200mfd .

There is an application note on that concept here:
http://eportal.apexmicrotech.com/mainsite/pdf/an26u.pdf?guid=&item_id=&f_page=
as david said the TDA2050 would have to be unity gain stable which it is not.
I suspect it is more like the National semiconductor application note AN1192 which shows 0.1% resistors. That concept should work with the TDA2050 but if the 2 channels are not well matched destructive currents can flow...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.