Blew an LM4780 chip last night!How?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So last night, I was fooling around with my completed mono amps trying different speakers. I actually had the cd input signal on pause when there where a few bright flashes.

When I looked closely, The 1, 3, and possibly 2 pins were fried!

So any ideas as to what caused it?
I have used the amp for about 5 hours (easy listening) intermittently so far before this happened and the other mono amp is fine, although it is wired the same way???

Thanks,
Dominick in New Jersey

Well, I decided to try them on my Martin Logan Clarity's and listened for 1 song, about 3 minutes and then hit pause on the cd player. About 1 minute later, while on pause still, Bada Boom Bada Bing! An indoor lightning show!LOL

I am really clueless. Is it possible that there was a delayed failure reaction??

Dominick

I had the same thing happen, zap and dissintegrated the pins. I touched my tuner's chassis to the heatsink. Damaged my tuner in the process as well.

Can one just get mica sheets and cut out shape? Damn, I was just at electronic surplus store during lunch.

Any alternate material? Well, imagine other material could impede thermal conductance to heat sink.

The use of mica is rare these days. What you want is something caled Sil-Pad from Bergquist, which is an elastomeric material.

If you read the chip data sheet, it is protected against output short to ground, but says nothing about short to a supply. The tab is at -ve supply I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.