What's the meaning of "GAINCLONE" ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heey... I never heard about gainclones till I arrive here at the forum ! :D

So, what this word means? What's the diferences between gainclones and normal chipamps?

Why you aways prefer those LM's instead those STK's?

See the STK4192... Not a gainclone right? What the 3886 (or 4780) have that is so better than this STK ?

Hum, GainClones here, Gainclones there, gainclones everywhere !:eek: Hahahahaha, so, I'm curious !

I built two 3886s, and they sound VERY GOOD INDEED, but many amps that I have (including TDAs, STKs) sounds very good too !

GAINCLONE. Hum, is this word at the dictionary? :D

I am no authority on the subject but I am going to chime in here (I have built several "gainclones").

Basially a gainclone is a copy of the amp originally designed and built by 47 Labs - Gaincard (see the link). It's not an exact copy (copywrite laws apply here), but pretty damn close.

http://www.sakurasystems.com/products/47amp.html

In my experience they sound good and are fairly inexpensive to construct (as you and many others have discovered). And yes it is really just another chip amp, but one that has a developed with a "cult-ish" like following among fellow diy'ers.

Just my .02...and I am sure that you will get more indepth answers.

Wayne

-_nando-_ said:
Hum, GainClones here, Gainclones there, gainclones everywhere !:eek: Hahahahaha, so, I'm curious !
GAINCLONE. Hum, is this word at the dictionary? :D

The Ramones set an example and started their 'punk music band'.
Punk rock wave made anybody able to start a rockband
eventhough couldnt play guitar or sing.
As long as the stuff was rockin' nobody cared.

Gainclone amping is 'punk of diy audio'.
If you know just about nothing or a bit more.
Anybody can do it!
And as long as the result is rockin' - who cares!

:smash:

Sheena is a punk rocker sheena is a punk rocker sheena is a punk rocker now
Sheena is a punk rocker sheena is a punk rocker sheena is a punk rocker now
Well she’s a punk punk, a punk rocker
Punk punk a punk rocker punk punk a punk rocker punk punk a punk rocker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.