stepped attenuator impedance - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2006, 10:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default stepped attenuator impedance

Hello.

ive ordered one of these

http://www.diyfidelity.com.au/produc...4ea9ce45cc303f

i chose 100K impedence cause thats what was suggested on the decibel dungeon site. Its for my to-be-built dual mono 3886 (brianGT).

Since reading the post about pots
So I did try all those different potentiometers

i saw Peter used 50K impedence pots, and i assume the same for the attenuator, im worried that my attenuator is too high a value?

Should i call em up and hope they havn't shipped yet or will it be ok. I was planning just passive.

Thanks
Old 8th January 2006, 04:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have purchased one of these attenuators and am very pleased with the results, I think worth every penny. This used with a 3875 from Peter D. I am not able to comment on the value for your 3886 amp, perhaps they will put a hold on it while you investigate?
Old 8th January 2006, 05:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

hi troublecomes,

I would have selected the 25K or 10K version although I haven't done extensive testing. The attentuator I am building is 20K so I'll be interested in the outcome. My current preamp uses 25K.

I am using a 100K pot on a test rig and I find I have to rotate it a long way to get reasonable volume. I have assumed the value is the problem but I'm open to be enlightened.

So I would put a hold on until the jury returns the verdict.

regards
Old 8th January 2006, 05:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I just finished my Dual Mono LM4780 kit from Peter Daniel and I used a 10k Pot. I dont have a good understanding of Pots, but I only turn it about a quarter of the way around to get the desired listening level usually. Sometimes a little more/less. It works well and I am happy with it.

Hope this helps,
Dominick
Old 9th January 2006, 01:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default ta

Thanks guys...

anyone else able to tell me what value i should try for?

I'm not worried about the position of the switch too much, as long as i can get full safe volume out of my amp. Damn, just showed how little i know about this stuff with that last sentence.
Old 9th January 2006, 04:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Previous to the SA, I was using an Alps 10K pot, I could only use approximately one quarter turn to arrive at a comfortabe listening level
with the SA it will turn a bit more than one half, this gives more low level control as well as much improved sound and better channel to channel tracking. I really like this attenuator.
Old 9th January 2006, 05:09 AM   #7
wchick is offline wchick  United States
diyAudio Member

I have used 50K noble pot, a 10K taiwan pot and recently a 100K Radio Shack pot on my Gainclone. For the 10K, you turn a little it get loud a lot. For 100K, you need to turn more to get comparable level but as someone said, you get more margin to control the low volume. 50k is more or less in between those two. I think the 100K works fine for me, and I'd never turn to max.
Old 9th January 2006, 11:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

well. i emailed the place for my attenuator earlier this morning and the guy was just packing my 100K one. I made a guess and asked for 50K and im being sent that one. It seems i should be ok from the posts above.

Thanks,
Matt

Hide this!Advertise here!